Sugar-Free, Low-Carb Pistachio Cookies

Monday, December 17, 2012

A couple years ago at Christmas time my friends at Gooseberry Patch asked me to review a new release -- 101 Cupcake, Cookie and Brownie Recipes. One of the recipes I made was Pistachio Thumbprints (click for link to original recipe and review) -- they were an instant family favorite. 
Although I was already eating low-carb I indulged -- not proud of that but these little buggers were too much for my will power.

My plan was to never make them again. My daughter had other plans -- I ended up making them again last year -- just one batch and not until Christmas Eve and again I caved but only ate 2 then daughter took the rest home with her and again I swore to NEVER make those again.
Well, I have made them again BUT this time I *remade* them -- into a low-carb, sugar-free recipe. I am enjoying them without feeling like I have *cheated* or not living my WOE. This version is every bit as yummy as I remember the original to be.


Pistachio Thumbprints
1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup powdered sweetener (you can make your own)
1 egg beaten
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp almond extract
2 cups almond flour
1 small pkg. instant sugar-free pistaschio pudding mix
1 cup pecans finely chopped
1 square unsweetened chocolate
2 tsp coconut oil
1 squirt liquid sweetener (Stevia To Go)

Blend butter, powdered sweetener, egg and extracts. Stir in almond flour and dry pudding mix. Form dough into 32 1-inch balls; roll in pecans. Placed on greased baking sheets; gently press a thumbprint into each. Bake at 325°F for 20 to 22 minutes or until nicely browned on bottoms; let cool. Spoon or pipe filling into thumbprints. In a plastic zipping bag, microwave remaining ingredients until melted, one to 2 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds. Snip off tip of one corner; drizzle over cookies.

Filling:
2 Tbsp butter, softened
2 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 squirt liquid sweetener (Stevia To Go)
Combine all ingredients; mix well.

Makes 32 cookies. Each cookie contains 147 calories, 3.04g carbs, 1.2g fiber = 1.84g net carbs.