Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins get a Low-Carb Re-Mix

Sunday, December 30, 2012
I have a few posts that draw attention -- a lot of attention. Thanks to Pinterest I am thinking. One of these posts is one I did in Fall 2010 for Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins. It really is a great recipe. I was already well on my way to making low-carb my lifestyle by then but I had kids still at home and no worries about baking them -- they were quickly eaten and not a temptation to me.



The nice folks at XclearInc sent me some sample products including XyloSweet granulated Xylitol sweetener. I have been wanting to do a pumpkin doughnut muffin makeover -- sampling the xylitol seemed the perfect occasion to get that done.

The makeover turned out wonderful -- as good as the originals AND only 1.53g net carbs for 2 mini-muffins. I enjoyed these with a beaker of hot tea -- a perfect Sunday morning breakfast. I tucked the rest into the freezer to enjoy over the next few weeks.

Thank-you to XclearInc. Xylitol is my favorite granulated sweetener to bake my low-carb goodies with. This will be my go-to brand from now on.

Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins

1 cup flax meal
1 cup almond meal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup Xylitol (or granulated sweetener of choice)
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup plus 2 T unsweetened almond milk

Topping:
1/2 cup Xylitol (or granulated sweetener of choice)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare mini muffin pans by greasing or lining with paper liners. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. mix dry ingredients well. Add beaten eggs, pumpkin puree, melted butter, and unsweetened almond milk to the dry mixture. Mix well without over mixing. Scoop batter, filling muffin tins a bit more than half way with the mixture. Bake for about 12-15 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Allow muffins to cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove to cooling rack. Mix the cinnamon and granulated sweetener for the topping in a small bowl. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, roll in the melted butter, then roll in the sweetener/cinnamon mixture. Makes 30 mini-muffins. Serving equals 2 mini-muffins. Each serving 148 calories, carbs 4.83g, fiber 3.3g = net carbs 1.53g