Skillet Suppers~Hillbilly Spaghetti Pie

Thursday, June 17, 2010

I HAVE to tell you about my Aunt Ruthie and her Sugar Pie Farmhouse. I LOVE Ruthie's blog. She is a wonderful, encouraging soul and I do feel a kindred spirit with her although I have to admit to SERIOUSLY coveting her pantry! Ruthie is a apron wearing, cast iron cooking kind of gal. She posted this recipe for Hillbilly Spaghetti Pie months ago and I am just now getting around to trying it. Please don't take as long as I did. This recipe is perfect for weeknight cooking. I served with a simple salad and some fresh from the oven bread. I'm posting a picture of my finished product but recommend you head on over to Ruthie's for the photo, step-by-step, how-to!



Hillbilly Spaghetti Pie
(Printable Version)

1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound extra lean ground beef
1/2 pound Italian sausage, 4 links (sweet or hot) casings removed
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 cups water
8 ounces spaghetti, broken into 3 inch pieces
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese

Saute green onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil, on medium heat 5 minutes. Add beef and sausage, brown over medium-high heat. While almost brown, add garlic, pepper flakes, oregano, and parsley. Once browned, stir in crushed tomatoes, water and salt. Add broken spaghetti. Push spaghetti into liquid, and cover for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, stir pasta so the noodles won’t stick together. Reduce heat to medium low simmer for 6 more minutes until pasta is al dente (almost cooked but still a little firm). Add basil, Parmesan cheese, and cream, stir well. Sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese, put in oven to broil until spotty brown. Serves 6.

Sharing today at Michael Lee's Foodie Friday.