Cast Iron Cooking ~ Skillet Poppy Seed Chicken

Sunday, January 2, 2011

After a break from my Cast Iron Cooking segment, I've dusted the trusty skillets and am back with a bunch of new and reworked recipes! First in the line up is Skillet Poppy Seed Chicken......this one skillet recipe certainly isn't your mother's Poppy Seed Chicken recipe. No cream-of-something soup and no crackers in this delicious remake. My family asks for this comfort food often. I usually serve with some sort of noodle or pasta and green beans w/almonds.


Skillet Poppy Seed Chicken
(Printable Version)

1 Tbsp olive oil
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp butter
1 small shallot, minced
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 c dry white wine (you can omit and just add more broth)
1-1/2 cups chicken broth (or you can use homemade stock)
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
Topping:
1/2 cup butter, melted
1-1/2 cups Panko crumbs
2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat.

Season chicken breasts with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook in olive oil until well browned on each side and cook through.

Remove to a plate and cover.

To skillet add shallots and wine (or 1/2 cup chicken broth) and scrape up all the brown bits that are stuck on the skillet bottom and cook until shallots are softened.

Add butter and mushrooms. Saute mushrooms until tender.

Add flour and stir around to make a roux. Pour in broth and stir until thickened. Add sour cream and pimientos.

Slice and stir in chicken and any juices from the plate. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients. Sprinkle over the chicken. Place skillet into oven and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and topping is browned.

Yield: 6 servings.


21 comments:

  1. Karen said...:

    Gail, looks so tasty! Funny thing to see your post come up in regards to the cast-iron skillet recipes. My hubby is obsessed at the moment with wanting to start cooking in them. We visited a very old general store, they had every size, shape & piece imaginable. I think this is what got him going. I may give this one a whirl.

  1. Dani said...:

    Thanks for the recipe..I love our cast iron and use them often...

  1. Gert said...:

    Yummm this looks wonderful!! What sides do you like to make with this dish??

    Hope you are having a blessed Sonday!

    xoxo Gert

  1. Cindy said...:

    Oh my, that sounds like real comfort food to me. Something about chicken with a yummy sauce is just so warm and comforting, like a big warm quilt. I am going to try that. Thanks for the recipe and for explaining it so well.
    Hugs, Cindy

  1. basketsbyrose said...:

    Sounds so good, but I have a question. What are Panko crumbs? I hope you will let me know!

    Happy New Year

  1. Jenny said...:

    I saw you on another blog I follow and was intriqued by this recipe. It looks scrumptious. Panko would add such a wonderful crunch. Thank you for sharing this. I will give it a try!

  1. Carol said...:

    Gail,
    This is truly comfort food. I am sure my hubby would love it. If I made it with home made noodles, he'd be over the moon!
    A keeper!

  1. Kathleen said...:

    My sister in TX took Panko home with her as she swears they don't have it there! I bet they do, I mean she is outside of Dallas, not out on the frontier! :)
    Looks delicious!

  1. Kristen said...:

    Looks amazing! I can't wait to try this.

    Do you know if it freezes well?

  1. Gail -- this looks yummy and I think I need to buy a cast iron skillet to make this -- well, I do have a cast iron dutch oven I could use! Happy New Year! Joni

  1. Pam said...:

    Gail, that's a great recipe that I will have to try. I have several cast iron skillets and a cornstick pan. Love them. Nothing cooks like cast iron as you know. Here's wishing you and your family a great year!

  1. Cindy said...:

    Gail this looks so yummy! I will be showcasing you Wednesday on my "Mornin Glories"Blog.

    Stop by and check it out.

    Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham
    and http://morningloriesgs.blogspot.com

  1. Wanda said...:

    just found your blog! Inspiring!

  1. Yum! Comforts me just looking at it! Thanks for sharing the printable version of recipe. Appreciate you stopping by. Hope your new year is off to a great start!

  1. Mary said...:

    What a nice recipe. I do a great deal of cooking with cast iron and that is what first brought me to your blog. Once I started to read your recipes and could see the food you featured I was hooked. This is an awfully nice place to visit. I hope you've had a wonderful holiday and that the new year brings great things your way. Blessings...Mary

  1. Linda Stubbs said...:

    This looks so nummy! You are amazing!

    Thank you for letting ladies know about my party......very sweet of you......loved it that Delinda won your party!She is a sweetie!

    Hugs, Linda

  1. nancycreative said...:

    That looks and sounds soooo good! I have a cast iron skillet I can use for that!

  1. Brook said...:

    This recipe looks really yummy! Thank you for visiting my blog. :) I just had to smile when I saw that you live in Nebraska. We're heading back to the "good life" for a visit next week!

  1. Pam said...:

    I'm so excited that you have iron skillet recipes!!! I have two old skillets that I never cook anything in and I always feel bad when I pass by them. I'll have to try thi recipe. Looks yummy.

  1. Anita said...:

    This looks SOOOO good and all my fav ingredients! It's also different from anything I make. I need to try something new!! Thanks for stopping by!! Happy New Year!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.