Sunday Dinner at Grandma's

Thursday, January 20, 2011

What an exciting day! My mailman brought my contributor's copy of Gooseberry Patch's Sunday Dinner at Grandma's. YIPPEE!!


I was so excited to get this particular book in my hot little hands. I was especially close to my own grandma and learned from her just what kind of grandma I am going to be when that day finally comes. Such a great theme for a cookbook. As I browsed through this book, I read lots of recipes that just brought thoughts of grandma's and the love they infuse into all they do for their families and the dishes that they make. I also saw some familiar names like Tina from akagramma. I have bookmarked MANY recipes to try but I thought I'd share my recipe that is published on page 142. A very simple, yet yummy recipe and of course it involves a cast iron skillet. Another quick thought, I love keeping a stack of bone-in ham steaks in the freezer. They are a great addition to bean and split pea soups, casseroles and since they thaw and cook quickly, they are homemade fast food. This is perfect served with a baked potato and/or a simple green salad.

Ham Steak & Apples Skillet
(Printable Version)

3 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 cups apple, cored and diced
2 1-lb bone-in ham steaks

Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar and mustard; bring to a simmer. Add apples; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Top apples with ham steaks. Cover with lid; simmer for about 10 minutes more, until apples are tender. Remove ham to a platter and cut into serving-size pieces. Top ham with apples and sauce. Makes 6 servings.

Sharing at Foodie Friday.