Showers of Blessings!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012
I LOVE that old hymn.

It's a busy week at Faithfulness Farms! On Saturday I am the behind-the-scenes person for the baby shower brunch that youngest daughter is throwing for oldest daughter. Mostly, that means I am doing a lot of the work, lol. I am not minding at all.

My sweet sister designed and made the invitations and those went into the mail the instant Christmas was over. A friend of my daughter offered up her beautiful home since I live 25 miles away and she is going to handle the decorations. That really only leaves me to get the food in order and planning some activities. Have I told you that I am NOT a fan of shower games? We have something else planned - should be really special. I'll share that with you all next week (with a product review AND a giveaway). I LOVE hosting brunches -- easy-peasy food.

The menu is: A *yet-to-be determined breakfast casserole* (daughter is not very thrilled with eggs these days, so I am still searching and taking suggestions), fruit (oranges and bananas), sausage links and bacon, cherry coffeecake & Mrs. Vick's Apricot Scones (daughter request - they are her favorites). There will also be Citrus Punch, Coffee & Tea as well as Blue Velvet Cupcakes w/Cream Cheese Frosting, nuts and blue candies. Look for the coffeecake recipe this weekend.

Right now my house is in a state of packing up to head to Tiff's house first thing Saturday morning. I have *stuff* stacked everywhere it seems, lol.

I did get finished with both my grandbaby's special blanket as well as his girlfriends (the baby girl of daughter's sweet friend also due this month).

When I was a teen, the members of a club I belonged to hosted a baby shower for the woman who was our leader. I was shown how to make these cute diaper nut cups and have been making them every since for every baby shower I am involved with -- first grandbaby's is no exception.


You need:
flannel fabric cut into 6-inch squares and then cut in half on the diagonal to form a triangle. I got 36 triangles from 1/2 yard of flannel. I use pinking shears to make them extra cute.
Paraffin Wax - I used Gulf wax available where canning supplies are sold
small safety pins

WARNING: Hot wax burns. Be very careful.

Place bricks of paraffin in a saucepan and place over low heat until completely melted. Meanwhile, fold the *diapers* (gathering the 3 points together) and secure with safely pins. When wax is melted, remove from heat and allow to cool a bit (it will still be melted but not quite as hot). Dip each diaper into the melted wax, shake off excess and set diaper onto a baking sheet, use your hands to shape into *cup* shape. Repeat with each. Allow to harden (this can be speeded up by putting them into the refrigerator for a few minutes). Once hardened, fill with nuts. Again, an extra cute thing is to tie the nuts in a round of tulle first.

Sharing at Honey's Potpourri Party!

9 comments:

  1. Those little diapers are just the cutest!! Isn't it fun, this new season in our lives when we are back to baby shower time again? Have fun and don't forget to take lots of pictures. And Congratulations!

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    How exciting and fun Gail. I do not like games at showers either. How about a potato based casserole sans eggs? hugs♥O

  1. Kathleen said...:

    Wow! I have done many baby showers and never saw that method with the wax!
    Good luck with the shower, I am sure it will be lovely! I haven't been to a shower held in a home for years! They are all held in restaurants now. No one wants to bother any more, it is a shame.

  1. Balisha said...:

    Hi,
    I wondered if you could make a french toast casserole... that you make the night before?
    I love your little nut cup idea. I may borrow it.
    Balisha

  1. I make a chili egg casserole that is always popular at potlucks and so easy too. I hate shower games too and refused to do them at my showers. I want others to visit and relax and my hostess found other ways to give some gifts and it was a lot of fun too.

  1. Renna said...:

    I can hardly wait to help host a baby shower so I can make those adorable nut cups!

    Your daughter is very blessed to have such caring and capable family to give her this shower.

  1. Sounds like the scenario from my daughter throwing sister shower a couple of years ago :)

    What a wonderful event, no matter who does the work - and why wouldn't we want to do as much as we can!

    Congrats again!

  1. What a cute, clever idea for a favor. Oh the breakfast casserole. I have a killer one for 'French Toast Apple Strada' with Apple Syrup. A ton of people have wanted the recipe. We served it for the second year in a row for a church breakfast of over 350 people. People rave about it. And it can be made the night before and so can the syrup. Its REALLY good. Have fun this weekend.And let me know if you want the recipe.

    Nann

  1. April said...:

    Oh, my goodness...what adorable ideas! Baby showers are always such fun!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.