Low-Carb Living~Skillet Chicken Florentine

Friday, January 6, 2012

First I want to say thank you for ALL the wonderfully nice comments and emails you all sent my way regarding My Journey. I am very touched and encouraged by your kindness.

Okay, it's a NEW Year and I am determined to cook MORE for ME. I eat and eat pretty well but I am not always motivated to *fix* something just for me now that I am an empty-nester. That is changing. I love to cook and I love my low-carb lifestyle -- I want my cooking (and eating) to reflect that more. On Friday's I am going to be posting Low Carb Living recipes. That will motivate ME.

I LOVE all vegetables but it seems there are THREE that I gravitate to more than others -- Spinach, Cauliflower and Green Beans. This recipe showcases the skillet-style of cooking I enjoy so much and SPINACH!! YUM!

Skillet Chicken Florentine
(Printable Version)

2 Tbsp butter, divided
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 1 pound
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed (you could use fresh chopped baby spinach if you prefer)
2-4 cloves garlic, minced (more garlic the better for me)
1 shallot, chopped
1/2 c dry white wine
1/4 c heavy cream
1/4 c Parmesan cheese (skip the green can -- use GOOD ingredients)
Salt and pepper, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side, but do not cook all the way through. Remove the chicken to a plate. Add the other tablespoon of butter to the skillet and heat over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and garlic. Saute until the shallots are translucent. Add the wine. Increase the heat to medium-high and boil until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add spinach; cook about 1 minute, just to heat. Stir in the cream and cheese. Add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to your liking, then spread the spinach evenly over the bottom of the skillet. Top the spinach with the chicken in a single layer; cover the pan and simmer over low heat about 5 minutes or so, just until the chicken is done. Serve the chicken topped with the spinach mixture. Add more cheese if you'd like. Makes 3 servings.

Per Serving: 350 Calories; 20g Fat; 33g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

Posting to Michael's Foodie Friday and Honey's Potpourri Party.