Low Carb Living ~ Chili

Friday, February 3, 2012

Some good football food = CHILI. After I started eating low carb, I avoided chili for a long time thinking I wouldn't like it as well without beans. As so often I am, I was WRONG!! Beanless chili is both delicious and wonderfully low carb. I always serve this with some beans on the side for the non-low carb eaters to add to theirs AND lots of low carb toppings (grated cheese, sour cream, cilantro, sliced avocados). Everyone is happy that way!



Low Carb Chili
(Printable Version)

5 pounds boneless beef chuck stew meat, cut in 1½ -inch cubes
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp virgin olive oil or canola oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 Tbsp ancho chile pepper powder or Mexican-style chili powder
1 (14½-oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
4 large roasted garlic cloves, minced

Heat oven to 325°F. Toss beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1-1/2 tsp oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Add one-third of the beef and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and repeat two more times with beef and oil. Add the last 1-1/2 tsp oil to Dutch oven and cook onion until lightly browned. Stir in chile powder, tomatoes, wine and garlic; bring to a simmer. Return beef and accumulated juices to Dutch oven. Cover and bake 2-1/2 hours, stirring once halfway through cooking time, until beef is very tender. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, or green onions (optional). Servings: 10

Net Carbs: 3.5 grams

8 comments:

  1. Sounds nice and hearty with the stew meat-enjoy:@)

  1. Debbie said...:

    I never thought about making chili bean-less and serving beans on the side for those who want them. Great idea!

    And this looks yummy.

  1. ♥ Sonny ♥ said...:

    Hi Gail..

    I recently started on LC , so I will be watching closely for all your recipes. Thanks so much.

    Sonny

  1. Patty Sumner said...:

    I never realized that beans were so high in carbs......Interesting bit of info. Thanks and blessings!

  1. OH, I really like chilli, with or without beans. Thanks for the recipe :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

  1. OhioPioneer said...:

    And to think I've spent years picking the beans out of my chili since I am not a huge fan of beans. I've tried hard to like them since they are a frugal source of protein but just can't talk myself into it. From now on I'm gonna start just making my chili without them! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

  1. Leila Hill said...:

    Brilliant! I am going to make this-I too am on the Low Carb wagon after losing over 100 pound with Weight Watchers-I am loving it! Thank you and I'll be joining.

  1. Sounds yummy, Gail. Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs,
    Pam

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.