Low-Carb Living ~ Hamburger Soup

Friday, February 10, 2012

Remember me whining about catching a cold just before my little grandson was born? It seemed to just disappear -- well, it has resurfaced and my plan for the weekend is to lay low and try to get over with it for good. Soup will certainly go far in my recovery. This Hamburger Soup recipe is one I make a lot to freeze in individual servings for taking to work for lunches. When you eat low carb it is really good to have a plan. Planning ahead means no last minute decisions and carb temptations. Are you feeding carb eaters too? - just boil some pasta (macaroni, shells, rotini, etc.) and serve the soup over the pasta for them.


Hamburger Soup
(Printable Version)

1 pound ground beef
4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
9 ounces cabbage, chopped, 1/2 medium or 4 cups
2 ounces fresh spinach thinly sliced
2 cans beef broth
4 broth cans water
8 ounce can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Brown the hamburger with the onion and celery. Drain fat. Add the cabbage; cook and stir until tender. Add all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low for about 2 hours. Adjust seasoning to taste. Makes about 8 servings.
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 126 Calories; 7g Fat; 11g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

15 comments:

  1. Shug said...:

    Good Morning Gail.
    Sure hope you get over this cold real soon!
    Sometimes a cold will linger and make you feel horrible for weeks...this soup recipe sounds just like the thing that you need. Get some rest, enjoy your soup and take it easy..
    Praying for a speedy healing..
    hugs

  1. Debbie said...:

    Pinning... pinning...
    It even has spinach in it, and according to a recent post I read, I'm supposed to eat more spinach cooked.

    Well, yuk. I don't like it cooked. I'm thinking this will be delicious "spinach camouflage".

  1. Patty Sumner said...:

    I hope you feel better soon. You make your soup almost exactly like I do. Nothing like a good pot of soup to make us feel better. Actually, I beleive I will make a pot today...sounds yummier by the minute....Blessings and stay warm!

  1. My cold doesn't seem to want to go away either! I hope you get your rest this weekend. Love this recipe, I have everything but the cabbage. I have to try it!

    XO,
    Jane

  1. Lynnie said...:

    I just "gave you the Versatile Blogger Award", hop over to my blog and check it out. Participate if you like. Blessings!

    That soup sounds and looks delish!

  1. ♥ Sonny ♥ said...:

    sounds yummy.. after it cooks I think I'll add a little taco season to half and italian seasoning to the other half.
    dang I jus got back from the store so I'm missing the spinach and beef broth. may call the daughter and ask her to pick that up for us.


    thanks for the recipe. have a great weekend and get well soon.

    xoxo
    Sonny

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    Love that it has spinach Gail. We try to add that any where we can. Have a terrific weekend.

  1. The soup sounds good Gail, I love putting cabbage into as many dishes as I can. Hope you feel better soon:@)

  1. This recipe looks good. This would fit in nicely to my GAPS meal plan, too :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

  1. This looks delicious! And I love the smell of soup simmering on the stove! That is a good idea to add the cooked pasta later for those who want it.

  1. Marigene said...:

    Hamburger soup sounds so good...it is really cold here this weekend.

  1. Hope you get over that cold soon! This has been a bad winter for viruses.

    Great sounding soup and good idea to add some pasta for the carb eaters.

  1. bj said...:

    Sure hope you feel better soon. I noticed just tonight that my throat is getting sore. So, I will pick up ingredients for this soup tomorrow. We just had about 4 inches of snow today so I'll be sitting in front of a roaring fire, eating this soup and feeling better!! :)

    O, and we celebrated our 50th in 2010, right along beside your mom and dad. :))
    xo bj

  1. Sheri said...:

    I have a blog on google...
    I am wanting to subscribe
    to your blog
    My address is sheridragonfly00@centurytel.net
    those are zeroes
    here is my blog
    http://sherishealingflowergarden.blogspot.com/
    hope you will join if you use gmail
    and or email me at my email and tell me how to join yours..thanks sheri usa

  1. Sheri said...:

    I found you! I joined tonight!
    Please join mine and share with your friends
    Sheris healing flower garden
    is the name of my blog.
    thanks
    sheri

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.