Squash & Chicken Stew ~ Crockpot Wednesday

Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Yesterday was a total crockpot kind of day. Busy from the start. It's nice to know when you have hectic days, that supper is being taken care of by the crockpot. This recipe uses butternut squash...we still have lots of it stored in the cool garage. The orginal recipe calls for couscous. I served the stew with brown basmati rice (made in the rice cooker) and that was delicious too.

Linking up with Dining with Debbie's, Crockpot Wednesday. Thanks for hosting, Debbie! Lots of great crockpot ideas there. Check them out!



Squash & Chicken Stew

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I just used whole thighs)
1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
3 cups cubed butternut squash
2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Hot cooked couscous, optional

In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with couscous if desired. Yield: 5 servings.



7 comments:

  1. You know I love and try your delicious recipes, and this is no exception! Thanks for visiting- you are one of the special people I blogged about today!
    God Bless You, Gail
    Yvonne

  1. Lori E said...:

    I have just started using butternut squash and am developing a taste for it. I know it is good for me so I try. This will help. It looks and sounds great.

  1. That sounds great. I will have to try it. Doylene

  1. Tiffanee said...:

    I have never tried stew with chicken. This looks really delicious. I am going to have to try it!! Thanks!!

  1. Sharon said...:

    Oh Gail, this sounds so good! I love both chicken and butternut squash. I love the spice combination you used. Thanks for sharing and thank you for leaving sweet and encouraging comments


    Have a blessed evening!
    Sharon

  1. This is a perfect recipe for us. I love to throw things in the crockpot and we love everything in this recipe. Saving it! Thanks.

    Sue

  1. Farmgirl Cyn said...:

    I just made a roasted squash and chorizo soup yesterday that I am going to post about. Soup is so perfect for this time of year, isn't it?

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.