Thanksgiving Menu

Tuesday, November 24, 2009
I'm sharing today at Tasty Tuesday , Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday and Tuesdays at the Table. Thank you Jen, Lisa and Cole for hosting these lovely events each week. Check out ALL the great recipes posted.

The big Thanksgiving feast is not at my home this year. We are actually going to be joining a group of about 30 members of our church family at our Pastor’s home for Thanksgiving. This is the 2nd year that we’ve done this…Pot Blessing (luck) style. Last year was a blast. I do miss making the big feast, but with one son living in another state and a daughter who has to work (she is a nurse), it isn’t the same anyway. So my assignment, the sweet potatoes and the rolls. Youngest daughter is bringing her Coconut Balls. Pastor really enjoys those.

My office also has a Thanksgiving gathering on Wednesday afternoon for lunch. We’ve been doing this for the last few years and it is very fun. I’m bringing the turkey (making a breast), gravy and stuffing. Easy enough!

And if I won’t be tired of Thanksgiving (not a chance, it is my favorite holiday), we are going to have a small family dinner at home on Sunday. On the menu for that, Turkey Breast, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Stuffing, Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans, Cranberry Salad and Rolls. A pumpkin pie for dessert.

This year I’m trying to stay close to my weight loss plan so I’m trading my dear friend Kathy’s very, very fattening (and oh, so good) sweet potato recipe for this similar recipe from Cooking Light. I expect it will be very good and no one will actually notice I’ve made some changes.

Thanksgiving Blessings!



Streuseled Sweet Potatoes a la Cooking Light

14 cups (1-inch)cubed peeled sweet potato (about 5 pounds)
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup real maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg,lightly beaten
zest of 1 orange
Cooking spray
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375°. Place potato in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Drain. Combine the half-and-half and next 5 ingredients (half-and-half through orange zest) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add potato to egg mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine flour and sugar in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add chilled butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over potato mixture. Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until the topping is browned and the potatoes are thoroughly heated. 18 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup) @ 250 calories per serving.

(I've edited this to include the last minute addition I made to this recipe -- Zest of 1 orange. Very, very yummy!)