Old Fashioned Cake Plates

Thursday, March 25, 2010


Last time I shared at Vintage Thingie Thursday (thanks to Susanne for hosting each week), I shared a sampling of my collection of vintage pickle dishes. Today I thought I’d give a peek of my collection of vintage cake plates. You might be detecting a trend here. I love glass…especially old-fashioned pressed glass. So sweet and sparkly…they come in all shapes and sizes, some with pedestals, some without, some in colored glass, most in clear. All beautiful and think of all the cakes they have probably displayed in their *lifetime* (you know cake is a pretty vintage thing when you think of it). I have no will power to resist when I come across one in the thrift stores or at a garage sale. So while I never intended to collect vintage cake plates, a collection of them I have. I use them a lot when catering. They come in handy for displaying the obvious, cake, but also cupcakes, muffins, cream puffs, tea sandwiches, fruit, and the list goes on. So, they rarely get the opportunity to collect dust in my home.


I LOVE Vintage Cookbooklets and this one ranks as a favorite. I've never heard of SnoSheen Cake Flour.


A Sweetheart Cheesecake on an Old-Fashioned Cake Plate


A sampling. Don't they look so festive!


A Triple Layer Raspberry-Filled Coconut Cake from a recent catering.


Triple Chocolate Cheesecake from the same catering (you can see cream puffs in the background also on a vintage cake plate)

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and the desserts look wonderful as well! Cake plates like these make the desserts even better.

  1. They are beautiful, especially the jadeite. I have a collection of jadeite and would adore to find a cake plate. You are a lucky girl!
    ★Linda

  1. I love them all, esp. the mint green ones!

  1. I love all your pedestal cake plates!! And the desserts you make look scrumptious!

  1. Postcardy said...:

    That's an unusual collection. The Triple Chocolate Cheesecake looks yummy.

  1. Forget the plates - - - just give me the CAKES!

    Hehehehehehehe

  1. Ann Creek said...:

    I love the green ones. And the desserts like sin-on-a-cake plate. Very pretty one and all.
    Ann

  1. LV said...:

    The plates are very pretty, but what's on them looks the best.

  1. Maureen said...:

    I agree - the plates are pretty but those cakes! The cheesecake is, well, pretty!

  1. Katie said...:

    I love cake plates...although I don't have nearly as many as you. Do you display them all?

  1. Each and every one is beautiful! A collection like that would have me baking cakes all the time! :-)

    xoxo
    Janie

  1. Coloradolady said...:

    I love your cake plates, I have been fighting the urge to pick up a few when I find them at the thrift stores. I love the ones on stands, and always look for white ones, so far I only have one....but always looking!!! Have a great VTT!

  1. Lady Farmer said...:

    Oh, they are all so lovely! Are the jadite ones old or from *Martha*? My next question is where do you store all of them? You must have a wonderful pantry or other storage!
    And, please, if you haven't already (I'm new to your blog)share some of those dilectable desserts!
    Blessings!

  1. Lady Farmer said...:

    Oops! Yes, it would be wonderful if you could share the desserts, but since I am so far away, perhaps just the recipes! :~P

  1. Kathleen said...:

    Oh I love the cake plates...and the cakes! They look wonderful!
    The green ones are so different..Perfect for Spring..Did you make that bunny cake on the top??

  1. farmlady said...:

    I would just love to collect cake plates. I just don't have room to store or display them. Yours are beautiful., and so are the desserts.
    Wonderful VVT post.

  1. What a wonderful collection and the desserts look delicious. You have a great eye for color.

  1. Oh, how lovely!!! My parents were blessed with a lot of beautiful serving dishes as wedding gifts, including several cake plates, trays, and stands. Your are outfitting your collection well with all of those beautiful desserts! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and saying hello. It's lovely meeting you!

    : )

    Julie M.

    ps My mom is from Nebraska City. : )

  1. Janet, said...:

    So delicious looking! I love the cake plates, too, especially the green.

  1. P. said...:

    I must be hungry because all I saw were the cakes and goodies the first scroll through! :) On second (and third) looks, though, the plates are all outstanding, but I think I like the first one best.

  1. Debbie said...:

    I like cake plates too, but they are hard to find around here (at least at prices I can afford). You have some very pretty ones and the desserts look delicious.

  1. Ruby said...:

    Although the cookbook is interesting and the food looks scrumptious---I was disappointed in the photos of the cake plates. But then I'm not a baker and love the pure unadorned plates!!! LOL :0

    You do indeed have a wonderful collection. Thanks for sharing.

  1. Barbara said...:

    I so love the old time recipe books, and all the photos and such in them I have several my self and the recipes are great.
    Hugs Barbara

  1. They are all so beautiful. The food too of course.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.