Puff Pastry~Fruit Turnovers

Thursday, March 4, 2010

I am a huge fan of frozen puff pastry. I always keep it on hand. You can quickly turn it into an appetizer, or top leftovers for a rustic pot pie or whip up a quick dessert for unexpected guests that tastes like it came from a top-notch bakery. When I opened my March issue of Everyday Food, I saw that they had the same idea as me. I do want to state here that I am a scratch baker/cook. I will and do make most things from scratch and I have made puff pastry from scratch in the past. The frozen product is just as good and is a perfect product to have on hand to save time and steps.



Fruit Turnovers
(Printable Version)
1/2 c sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp coarse salt
3/4 pound fresh or frozen fruit, cut into 1-inch pieces if necessary
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
flour for work surface
2 sheets frozen puff pastry
2 large egg yolks
coarse sugar (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add fruit and lemon zest; toss to coat. On a lightly floured work surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry into an 11x18-inch rectangle and cut into eight 4-1/2x5-1/2-inch rectangles. Dividing evenly, place filing lengthwise on one half of each rectangle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Combine 1 egg yolk with 1 Tbsp water. Brush border with egg wash; fold dough over filling and press edges to seal well. With the tip of a sharp knife, cut vents into pastry. Freeze turnovers on a parchment lined baking sheet until firm and layer with waxed paper in a resealable container. To serve: preheat oven to 400°F with rack in lower third. Place desired number of frozen turnovers on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Combine 1 egg yolk with 1 Tbsp water; brush over turnovers and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until golden brown and juices are bubbling, 15 to 17minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.





Posting to Michael Lee West's Foodie Friday @ Designs by Gollum. What womderfully inspiring cooks post there. Check them all out!



17 comments:

  1. Lara said...:

    Hi there! Those look delicious! Such simple/easy ingredients... I'm going to make these! Thanks for sharing and inspiring. :-)

  1. Lynnie said...:

    These look delicious! Can't wait to try them!

  1. cindy said...:

    They look so delicious!

  1. I love turnovers, but I've never made my own. I do love using puff pastry, so I really don't know why I haven't tried it. You've made your own puff pastry? I would never get it rolled out thin enough!

    I'd like one of these with my tea this morning!

  1. Katie said...:

    Perfect! I bought 2 packages at Aldi when they had them and have been wondering what to do with them. I have been wanting to do something like this!

  1. Mrs. P- These look divine. You and I have a thing for puffed pastry! I have also made it from scratch, but I agree, it is a lot of work when the frozen kind works perfectly well! Your pastries are look absolutely wonderful. And what I think is just brillian is that you can freeze these ahead of time and take them out and in less than 20 minutes have a wonderful dessert/breakfast pastry! My son and his roommates are coming home this weekend and I have puffed pastry and fruit- this looks like a treat they would love!
    Thanks, and Blessing today,
    Yvonne

  1. Hi Gail, ooooo, yummy! This looks so good. I keep the puff pastry in my freezer also. Toooooo delicious.

    Hugs, Barb ♥

  1. Oh my, that looks absolutely DELISH!! I have never used puff pastry. I was always intimated. But you have inspired me. I think I'll go to the store over the weekend and make me some fruit turnovers! Thanks for sharing :)!

  1. We love puff pastry, too. I am so glad to know that the homemade version is equal to the frozen. I have wondered and wondered. Your turnovers look especially delicious!

  1. Kathleen said...:

    I wish Costco would carry the puff pastry.. It is so expensive!
    Your pastry looks delicious!
    Have a good weekend , Gail!

  1. Sharon said...:

    Oh my Gail! These look so good, and I LOVE blueberries :)

    Have a blessed weekend sweetie!
    Love,
    Sharon

  1. Monique Boblin said...:

    Oh wow my tummy rummbled just looking!! I will have to try and make this some time - but I am sure they will not look as nice.

  1. DarcyLee said...:

    I bought my first box of puff pastry the other day and only because it was only $1.99! I should have bought more, I know, but I wasn't sure how to use it. You have given me some good ideas and your turnovers looks amazing.

  1. Hi Gail...

    Oooh...what yummy looking pastries! I love blueberry!

    My friend, I just wanted you to know that neither one of your (two) links that you added for the Sunday Favorites party is working. I clicked on both and...nothing! Just wanted to let you know...so that you can redo it? I would have put the link in for you but was unsure what post that you wanted to share for Sunday Favorites. I'm so sorry that there are problems...not sure if it's Mr.Linky or what? I'll check back with you later!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

  1. Hi Gail...

    So glad that you wrote me about those links not being yours. Hmmm...I'm not sure which "Gail" that they belong to then. Ohhh noooo...I'm sooo confused! Hehe! Anyway...thanks for the "heads-up"! Oooh...it's about 10:30am here and I'm thinking that your yummy looking blueberry pastries sound pretty good right now! I need one to go with my morning coffee!

    Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!
    Chari @Happy To Design

  1. Cathy said...:

    Puff pastry can be used in so many ways and it's a staple in my freezer. Your fruit turnovers are a perfect way to use some of the fruits from last summer.

  1. Martha said...:

    These look really good and I am a frozen puff pastry girl as well -- you use help where you can -- it's a good product!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.