Skillet Suppers~Quick Skillet Mac & Cheese

Thursday, March 25, 2010


Another great Skillet Recipe to share today. This is a newer recipe for me from Fine Cooking. This was a very easy, very rich dish and I will make it again.



Fine Cooking's Quick Skillet Mac & Cheese

Kosher salt
12 oz. dried spiral pasta, such as cavatappi, rotini, or double elbows
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
2 cups low-fat (2%) milk
4 oz. grated Emmentaler (1-1/4 cups)
4 oz. grated Gruyère (1-1/4 cups)
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
Freshly ground black pepper
3 oz. finely Parmigiano-Reggiano (3 cups)

Position a rack about 4 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler on high.Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until just tender. Drain well and set aside. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking until well combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk in the milk and continue to cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the Emmentaler, Gruyère, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme and whisk until the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth, 2 minutes. Stir in the pasta to coat with the sauce. Off the heat, season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano evenly over the pasta. Broil until the top is browned, 3 to 4 minutes, and serve. Serves 4.

Sharing at Michael's Foodie Friday at Designs By Gollum. Check out all the post there....many inspiring cooks.

And if you haven't got entered in for my 100th post giveaway, the link is on my sidebar.



17 comments:

  1. I am drooling over your beautiful pans!! This recipe looks yummy :)

  1. Marie said...:

    That looks delicious! I am in the middle of moving and that looks like just the ticket for a tasty supper that won't involve a lot of dishes etc.! (Plus it is all stuff I need to be using up!)

  1. Angela said...:

    Your post made me realize I no longer have a skillet in this house...hmmmmmmmm,,,will need to start to hunt one down when I'm yard saling this spring...

  1. Debbie said...:

    I probably use my cast iron skillets and Dutch oven more than my other pots and pans. Some of my were inherited from my grandmother...just love them. would love for you to join me for Crock Pot Wednesday next week. I took a little break this week to spend some time with Hubby at the beach, but CPW will be back up and ready for you next week. Again, congrats on your 100th.

  1. Love the skillets and my kids are huge fans of mac and cheese. Thank you! Thank you for visiting us and your sweet comment
    xoxo Pattie

  1. Rettabug said...:

    I recently bought a new iron skillet (Lodge Logic) from Wal-mart since my brother inherited my Mom's. I could do this!! Three cheeses..Yum!

  1. This series is really making me want a cast iron skillet!!! Someday I will need to splurge and get one. Until then, I suppose my electric nonstick skillet will work just fine. Interesting mix of cheeses in this recipe!

  1. LDH said...:

    This does look good! I wasn't aware that Emmentaler is a Swiss cheese (had to google it). Thanks for posting this recipe!

  1. Kathleen said...:

    This looks like a great recipe for Mac and Cheese! I love the photo of all your skillets!

  1. Hmmm Yum!!!I think i am definetly making Macaroni and cheese tonight...And we are snowed in so i am not going anywhere...LOL
    Baby Geese? Why do you like them so much?
    I could get some...Do you get them to eat them?
    Thank you for stopping by.
    Gros bisous
    frenchy

  1. Betty said...:

    Wow... I love mac and chesse. It is a wonderful comfort food. Your blog is beautiful.

  1. Barbara said...:

    Yumyum that sounds really good, and it sounds real easy too, thanks, have a wonderful weekend. Hugs Barbara

  1. I love cooking with my cast iron skillet. Your recipe is a keeper; I'm always looking for hearty, homecooking that requires one pot, and the mac recipe fits the bill. Thanks for joining us at Foodie Friday!

  1. Cathy said...:

    I use my cast iron skillet all the time but never thought to make macaroni in cheese in one. Yum, your version looks so cheesy delicious.

  1. Susan said...:

    Since I've come to your blog, I find myself using the skillets more. Thank you, the recipes are wonderful. Looking forward to trying this one.

    Have a great weekend!

  1. MrsJenB said...:

    What great skillets! And that mac and cheese looks divine and rich and wonderful!

  1. Jeanette said...:

    This is going in my save file for when my husband gets home. And I love my cast iron also! I have a griddle pan that stays on the stove all the time!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.