Pedelstal-ed Plates~Tutorial

Sunday, March 28, 2010


I am posting this to Susan's Metamorphsis Monday. Last week I posted on my collection of vintage cake plates. While many of my collection do not have pedelstals, some do and I enjoy using them very much. Got me to thinking about putting my own plates on petestals. I had done this project before and found it to be easy and pretty rewarding for little investment. So off I went to tour my favorite thrift stores. I found a set of 4 small dessert-sized plates that I really liked and 2 dinner sized. Now I needed *something* to use as a pedelstals. So I went around turning things upside-down to see just what would work. I found 2 vases right off the bat that would go great with the bigger plates and then scored 2 mismatched glass candlesticks and a small vase for the smaller plates. I also knew I had an old perfume bottle at home that had a large chip in the top that would also work nicely. So then I headed to Ace Hardware to purchase 2-Part Epoxy and some sandpaper.



Now all the glass needed a very good cleaning. Lots of nooks and cranies in these pressed glass pieces, so I used a toothbrush and toothpaste to scrub. Does a super job. Once the glass was perfectly cleaned and totally dried, I used the sandpaper to rough over the pieces that will be glued together. Just a little roughing to help the epoxy to do its job.

Mix your epoxy, careful to follow the directions on the package. Once you have the epoxy mixed, you need to work quickly. Spread the epoxy onto the pedestal piece, where it will attach to the plate.



Set the plate on the pedestal and apply slight pressure for a few moments. Set aside and allow the bond to complete (takes 5 minutes).



And the results....



I am also going to add this to Mary's Mosaic Monday. Thank you Susan and Mary!! Please visit each of these wonderful ladies and check out the other inspiring posts!

Be sure to enter in for my 100th post giveaway! The drawing will be on Friday!

22 comments:

  1. Lenore said...:

    What great pedestals you have created and it looks as if it's not a lot of work.
    I may have to try this as I need more lift in some of my vignettes.
    thanks for the tutorial.

  1. These turned out beautifully!!! Have a wonderful week!!!

  1. Mary said...:

    Oh, that is wonderful! thanks so much for sharing your beautiful creations at MM. :)

  1. I am so going to do this!

  1. Angela said...:

    What an amazing idea. I LOVED it..Beautiful mosaic pictures shared. Loved the vignettes you made.

  1. Patriotic Mom said...:

    I really like the candles on the pedestal plates. I have made one plate but I'll have to do more for candles. The vases upside down worked great! Happy Easter, Joan

  1. Lady Farmer said...:

    What a terrific idea! Thanks so much for the tutorial and telling exactly what we will need to make these. I will be on the look-out for pretty dishes for pedestals ~ a great reason to go thrifting!
    Blessings!

  1. louise spell said...:

    I have enjoyed looking at your blogspot and I love the Lord to, it is so refreshing and the things you do. I to am a doer of many things a nd have now reached the 90 year old but still get inspired of others.

  1. Very creative. I will remember that. Valerie

  1. Well aren't you clever! I love the ideas that creative bloggers like you share.

  1. katie said...:

    These are all lovely.
    I have made quite a few, but none out of clear glass. Yours look so very pretty.

    thanks

  1. Vivian said...:

    Those look really cute. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be sure to stop back by.

  1. Kathleen said...:

    They are beautiful!! The bottom parts you chose have so much more interest than dollar store candle holders. Great job..I have visions of having my fingers stuck together for life! :)

  1. 32˙North said...:

    These work so nicely as candle holders - I love the different heights displayed together!

    Amanda

  1. Kammy said...:

    Great job Gail, I love it !
    Kammy

  1. I love making these! Yours turned out fabulous! I usually use E6000.
    I have one that is 2 plates and a bowl, separated with a vase and a candestick, I painted it Saturday while I was supposed to be finishing up the garage! :)
    Hope you have a great week.
    gail

  1. Sharon said...:

    I love these Gail. Just perfect and so many possibilities :) Thanks for sharing!

  1. bratti said...:

    I LOVE IT!!! I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR A CAKE STAND, NOW I CAN MAKE MY OWN! THANKS!

  1. What a fantastic idea and how easy was that?!? I've gotta give this a try. I go to the Salvation Army and Goodwill and see these beautiful plates and candle sticks and had no idea of their potential. Thanks for sharing such a great idea. God bless. Cathy

  1. Tina G said...:

    Love your idea! Now I have something else to look for at the flea markets and thrift stores! It sure made a beautiful table setting!

  1. What an amazing idea! Y'all must have some wonderful thrifting places in your area! You have so many wonderful finds. I am going to try this pedestal idea, too!

    Mrs. T.
    Acorn Hollow

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.