Tea & Muffins

Monday, March 29, 2010
Editing this post to include it in the lovely Susan's Tablescape Thursday event at Between Naps on the Porch. Looking for inspiration...come check out all the wonderful posts there!

When my children were little we started the tradition of having tea & muffins every Sunday morning for breakfast before church. We all look forward to it each week. Some weeks we do coffee or cocoa and some weeks we'll bake scones or maybe even coffeecake but mostly it is tea and muffins. Simple but now it is a tradition and one that I hope they'll remember fondly in years to come and maybe even carry on in their own families. I thought I'd share our Sunday Tea from this week along with the recipe for one of our favorite muffins. Maybe you'd like to start a new tradition on Easter Sunday!

I am sharing this post at Lisa & Lana's Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday (Blessed With Grace), Marty's Table Top Tuesday (A Stroll Thru Life) and Kathrine's Tea Time Tuesday (Lady Katherine's Tea Parlor). Please visit each of these lovely blogs.

Vintage Tea Cups that I picked up several years ago at a consignment shop. The set includes 6 cups, each with a different rose motif.

A fun Tea set from TJMaxx.

A Shabby Chic pedestal plate, perfect for serving muffins (check my tutorial on how to make these).

Place setting includes Ivory dinner plates from Walmart, used as charger, green salad plates found on clearance at TJMaxx several years ago, napkins found on clearance at Target last month (great deal...4 napkins for $1.74).

Another of those lovely tea cups.

Time for Tea!!

Some of the BEST Blueberry Muffins!

Blueberry Oat Muffins

1 cup of oats
1 cup of buttermilk
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup of butter, melted
1 cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Combine the oats and the buttermilk; allow to stand. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Stir well to blend. Add the beaten egg and melted butter to the oat mixture. Mix thoroughly. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Gently fold in the blueberries. Fill 10-12 muffin cups sprayed with nonstick Spray. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 20-25 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched.



30 comments:

  1. I've seen that set at TJ Maxx. :-)Beautiful pieces. I especially like those elegant pink spray teacups/saucers. How wonderful you had such a nice tradition with your children! xo

  1. Kathleen said...:

    I love how your cake plates turned out, and the muffins look wonderful!

  1. Oh what a lovely tea this is!

  1. Oooh, those muffins look so tasty. Perfect for tea. Thanks for sharing.

  1. What a nice tradition! Your table is beautiful; what a great way to start the Lord's day.

  1. Kammy said...:

    Yummo ! What a nice tradition...loved your photos !
    Hugs, Kammy

  1. Kristen said...:

    Family traditions are so much fun. Your muffins sound great. Oats are always a wonderful addition...I love the chewy texture they add.

  1. cindy said...:

    What a neat tradition to pass along.

    Take care-
    Cindy

  1. Kristen said...:

    That is a wonderful tradition; I will have to remember this idea!

  1. Oh, what a fabulous tradition and such a beautiful table setting. I love your pretty cups, they are beautiful. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

  1. Tricia said...:

    I love this tradition, and I know your family looks forward to Sundays! What a great idea to celebrate together before church! And tea always tastes best in pretty cups like yours.

  1. Beth said...:

    Beautiful post, and what a nice tradition!

  1. Brenda said...:

    What a fun tradition to have! Those muffins sound delicious and I love all of your tea equipment

  1. Diann said...:

    This looks wonderful! Those tecaups and saucers are so wonderful and a great find! And what a great tradition!

    Have a wonderful day!!

  1. Hello there sweet lady,

    This is just so yummy, warm and inviting; what a delightful and oh-so-pretty teatable vignette and a lovely family tradition!
    ( Also, that music on your blog is
    lovely as well; I'm so enjoying it)!..,Thanks for sharing that wonderful recipe!


    Do pop by and visit my blog for 'tea' as well please; I'd love to have you stop by for a little visit!..,

    Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee @ The Plumed Pen

  1. Carrie said...:

    Gail,
    Your teacup and saucers are lovely designsand the table is set beautifully.
    Have a blessed Easter,
    Carrie

  1. Ms. Bake-it said...:

    I saw that tea set at TGMaxx and almost bought it. Your muffins look scrumptious! What a lovely tradition. I too have some traditions I started when my children were born and they talk about continuing them when they have children. Your table looks lovely.

    ~ Tracy

  1. Your blueberry muffins look delicious and your Sunday morning tradition is a nice family gathering.

  1. Barbara said...:

    Oh your table is beautiful, wonderful setting, the muffins recipe sounds really good too, I am gonna snag it, it is a little different than mine, and I grow my own blueberries so when they come in I will have plenty to bake with. Hugs Barbara

  1. Lady Katherine said...:

    Such a lovely tradition with Tea and Muffins you do with your family! Making memories that will last forever! I just know your family will do this too! I do love it! I love blueberry muffins! Great recipe! Thank You for sharing it and sharing your lovely Table setting for Tea Time Tuesday! I just love the tea cups, how lucky you are to find six! Your Tea set is great! I want to go to TJMax. lol I love that store! Wish one was closer to me! The napkins are wonderful as your dishes! So pretty! I love your cake pedestal! I made mini cup cake plates from candle dishes! Oh, but I just adore your cake plate! Such a lovely Tea Table setting!

  1. fiberdoodles said...:

    The muffins look so yummy and the place setting is just beautiful! Happy Easter!!

  1. MrsJenB said...:

    Goooorgeous muffins! And the table is so pretty. What a wonderful tradition which I'm sure will be looked back on with such fondness!

  1. ♥ Sonny ♥ said...:

    yummy recipe, thank you ~! I also looked at your tutorial for the cake stand and I am going to make one.. I'll be sure to let you know when I get that posted and give you credit for the great idea...

    Sonny

  1. What a sweet tradition. Everything looks so inviting.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

  1. Sharon Haynie said...:

    I'm trying your muffins this sunday. thanks for the great table and recipe.

  1. Denise said...:

    Pretty dishes and table, I love the tea set too.

  1. Sharon said...:

    I love the tea set and your table setting.
    I am going to try the muffins as I love blueberries.
    That is a wonderful family tradition.
    Happy Easter

  1. I love the idea of tea on Sunday morning! That just sounds so calming before church. Sadly, we often sleep in and are rushing around before we go. I will definitely try the Blueberry Muffin Recipe!

    I'm hosting a GIVEAWAY over at my blog, and I would love it if you stopped in!

    God Bless,
    Heather

  1. Concetta said...:

    I loved your post and all of your exquisite treasures! I can't wait to try the Blueberry Muffin recipe - looks delicious!
    Concetta

  1. Johanna said...:

    Very charming tablescape. I love your teacups, they are really adorable. I love rose decorations so much. And I will try to make your blueberry muffins. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    Wish you a happy Easter.
    Johanna

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.