Pineapple Upside-Down Cake ala Cast Iron Skillet

Monday, March 22, 2010

Welcome to all the new followers!

I am going to allow myself to be side tracked a bit from my regular Skillet Suppers segment. I mentioned in a previous post that my dear grandmother always made her Pineapple Upside-Down Cake in her cast iron skillet. I am now the owner of that precious skillet and I love making PUD Cake it in. In fact, I am not much of a cake person, prefering pie instead. But PUD Cake is very close to pie in my mind and I LOVE it!!


Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

3 cans (8 ounces each) sliced pineapple in syrup (12 slices in all)
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
Maraschino cherries (if you are not a cherry fan, use pecan halves instead)
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 cup whipping cream, chilled and whipped, or vanilla ice cream

Drain pineapple slices, reserving 2 tablespoons of syrup. In a heavy 10-inch iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar, stirring until sugar is melted. Remove from heat. Arrange 8 pineapple slices on sugar mixture and one in center. Cut 3 slices in half and stand up around edge of pan. Place 1 maraschino cherry in center of each pineapple slice.

Into a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and milk; beat for about 2 minutes, or until batter is smooth. Add egg and reserved 2 tablespoons pineapple syrup. Beat 2 minutes longer. Pour cake batter over pineapple slices in skillet, spreading carefully. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown and cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool in skillet on rack for 5 minutes; loosen edges with spatula or butter knife. Hold serving plate over top of skillet; invert and shake gently to loosen cake. Lift off skillet. Serve cake warm with whipped cream or ice cream.



Posting to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday hosted by Lisa and her sister, Lana. Thank you ladies for this lovely event each week!

Don't forget to get entered into my 100th post giveaway!

22 comments:

  1. Lynnie said...:

    I love your skillet recipes! I just recently purchased a cast iron corn bread pan (with the corn molds in the cast iron). I have been looking for some great deal at the second hand stores and antique stores on the cast iron pans.

  1. AnnaMarie said...:

    mmmmm...this I can't wait to try!! I think I will test it out on my fiance and the men he has working on the house this weekend (= Thank you!

  1. Kim said...:

    This looks perfect! Have you shared any pie recipes - my girls and I wanted to make one the other day (you know, 3/14 - pi day), but weren't inspired by any of the recipes in my cookbook.

  1. Lady Farmer said...:

    Mrs. P.
    My dear Gentleman Farmer just loves PUD Cake! I most definately will give this a try. I love my cast iron pans but have never tried cake in them! Thanks so much for the recipe!
    Blessings!

  1. fiberdoodles said...:

    My all time favorite ~ YUM!

  1. Pineapple-upside-down-cake is my very favorite! Love how moist it is when the juice and brown sugar soak into the cake. Ummmm!

  1. Martina said...:

    Mmh! this looks so yummy! I have to try that.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Have a great day!

  1. Barbara said...:

    Oh that sounds amazing, my dh love PUDC so it will be easy for me to make, going to try this one for sure, Hugs Barbara

  1. I love cast iron skillet recipes! I have been trying to switch over to using almost all cast iron. I find them at junk shops and have a "blast" cleaning them with Hubby's tools. One womans trash is my treasure!

  1. ~Alison~ said...:

    this cake looks amazing! I don't have a cast iron skillet! :( Can it be made in a casserole or baking dish???

  1. I love pineapple upside down cake but haven't made one in YEARS! Might just have to give this one a try...

  1. MrsJenB said...:

    Oh gosh this totally reminds me of my grandmom - she ALWAYS made this cake! I should give it a try myself, you know, to keep the tradition alive! I know my dad would just love it.

    Thank you for sharing!

  1. OMGoodness, I'm going to make this real soon. I do not use my iron skillets anymore since a kitchen remodel and new ceramic stovetop. This sounds and looks so yummy and I can still bake in them. Thank you for the recipe.

  1. Sherry said...:

    Oh, wow! This looks scrumptious!

  1. Your photos are great and the recipe looks divine.

  1. Michelle said...:

    I remember my Grama making Pineapple Upside Down Cake in a skillet! I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for bringing back that memory!

  1. It's been a long time since I've made this cake in a cast iron skillet...but I can remember how incredible it tastes! Thanks for the recipe! ♥

  1. I am really tempted to invest in a cast iron skillet, but the whole thing about not washing the skillet in soap and water (just wiping it out after use) bothers me. Could you do a post on how you keep your skillets so nice and give us some direction with using cast iron. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know, though!!

  1. Mrs. P- I have not ever made a cake in a cast iron pan. This looks so delicious! I'll give it a try.Don't you love how yummy cast iron makes food? YOur cast iron recipies are the best! Just like you, dear friend!
    Yvonne

  1. Sharon said...:

    OH Gail,

    This sounds wonderful! I have recently begun to use my cast iron more and it sure makes a difference. Cobblers, crsips and cakes oh my! I HAVE to try the PUD. Thanks for sharing! Have a blessed day!
    Sharon

  1. Denise said...:

    It's been years since I had Pineapple Upside Down cake and I've never made it in a skillet! I used to make it in a square pan when I was younger back home. I think Pioneer Woman has a PUD recipe in her book and as I'm cooking my way through the book hopefully I will get to make it soon :)
    Yours looks delicious.

  1. I am loving reading your cast iron skillet recipes.
    And by the way, are those your skillets all fanned out? Beautiful if so!
    I started making my pineapple upside down cake in a cast iron skillet after seeing Pioneer Woman do it. They make the best cake!!!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.