Football Snacking

Saturday, September 10, 2011

I've lived in Nebraska since 2006. Most of the native Nebraskans can be described as a pretty even-tempered lot -- except when you are talking Husker Football! It took me a few years to catch the fever but now I bleed RED just like a native. Now that Nebraska is playing in the BIG 10, we can catch every game on BTN (Big Ten Network) -- YIPPEE!!

This afternoon I'm having a friend over to view the game and have been searching out game grub all week. I finally settled in my version of a dish I spyed on Pintrest (oh, how addicted I am to Pintrest, lol). First, let me tell you as a low carb eater, pizza is something I don't indulge in often. Occasionally, I do this thing where I peel off all the cheese and toppings and leave behind the crust -- not pretty and only at home, lol. So, when I saw there was such a thing as Pizza Dip, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. GO BIG RED!!!


Skillet Pizza Dip
(Printable Version)

2 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup prepared pizza sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 lb Italian sausage, cooked and drained
4 oz pepperoni
1 small can sliced black olives
fresh basil leaves, chopped
red pepper flakes (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Place 10-inch cast iron skillet on low heat. Place cream cheese and garlic powder in skillet and stir to melt cream cheese. Once melted, remove from heat and smooth out evenly in bottom of skillet. Sprinkle 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese over cream cheese mixture. Carefully cover with pizza sauce. Reserve 1/2 cup of the remaining cheese and sprinkle the rest over pizza sauce. Arrange sausage and pepperoni over cheese. Sprinkle with olives and reserved cheese. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbling and golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped basil and red pepper flakes. Serve with toasted french bread slices. Serves 10-12.

Served with french bread -- the only thing I dip in is a fork, lol. Oh, so good!!

Linking up with Yvonne's On The Menu Monday!