Old-Fashioned Bake Sale ~ Banana Bundt w/Caramel Glaze & Candied Walnuts

Friday, September 16, 2011
One of my favorite kitchen collections is my Nordicware Bundt pans. I try to use them as much as possible. Bundt cakes are fun and so easy -- no frosting and decorating necessary. Perfect for something quick for company or to go with a steamy cup of coffee. This recipe fits that bill perfectly!


Banana Bundt Cake w/Caramel Glaze & Candied Walnuts
(Printable Version)

Cake:
1-1/2 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
4 Tbsp butter, softened
4 mashed super ripe bananas (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Caramel Glaze
Candied Walnuts (commercially prepared ones can be used)

Prepare candied walnuts. Position rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 10-1/2-cup Bundt pan by using a pastry brush to brush the inside surface with solid shortening then dust with flour. Set aside. With a mixer, cream together sugar and softened butter. Add eggs one at a time and beat until well incorporated. In a medium mixing bowl, mash bananas. Add vanilla and sour cream. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternating with banana mixture (beginning and ending with dry ingredients) until well combined. Do not over mix. Pour into prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on rack for 5-10 minutes, then turn cake out onto serving plate. Cool completely. When cooled, prepare glaze and pour over cake. Sprinkle glaze with chopped candied walnuts. Serves 12.

Caramel Glaze:
4 Tbsp butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla

Bring brown sugar, butter, and milk to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly; boil 1 minute, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Whisk for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture begins to cool and thickens slightly. Pour immediately over cooled cake.

Candied Walnuts:
½ lb walnuts halves
½ c granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp evaporated milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread nuts in a single layer over parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until the nuts start to turn brown and the smell of roasting nuts fills the kitchen. Stir together sugar, cinnamon, salt, and milk in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes, or until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage of 236°F. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla immediately. Add walnuts to syrup mixture, and stir to coat well. Spoon nuts back onto parchment-lined baking sheet, and immediately separate nuts with a fork. Cool, and store in airtight container.

Posting to Honey's Potpourri Friday & Michael Lee's Foodie Friday!

21 comments:

  1. Karen said...:

    Gail, sounds so yummy! Especially great flavors for this time of year. Loved the photo with the bundt pan turned upside down. Enjoying the cooler weather?

  1. Jo said...:

    This looks sooo divine delish!
    ~Jo @ LazyonLoblolly

  1. Oh this sounds so yummy! Looks great also. I love bundt pans! bb

  1. Looks beautiful Gail, a slice and a big ole cup of coffee-I'd be set:@)

  1. soraya3 ღ said...:

    ooh it looks delicious ..thanks for sharing.. have a nice weekend..

  1. This looks so good, Gail. I love how moist bundt cakes are. I have a pan just dying to be used!

    XO,
    Jane

  1. That sounds so delicious! Anything with the word 'caramel' in it always gets my attention :)

  1. Nicole said...:

    This sounds and looks delicious now to just buy bananas without them being eaten before they have a chance to over ripen.

  1. YUM YUM and YUM again!!! Son arrived home a couple of hours ago and I need to make a yummy treat for him this weekend... it's either this or the gingerbread pumpkin bars you posted last week. How am I gonna decide between these two yummylicious desserts?

  1. Honey at 2805 said...:

    This looks so suited for Fall and I'm happy to shared the receipe! Now, please pass the cake!

    Thanks for linking up Potpourri Friday. You are a real asset to the success of this party and I appreciate you! I will look forward to seeing what you create for next week!

  1. Oh, this recipe sounds divine!! I have a baking question. Seems like now that our nest is empty, our bananas get overripe fast and I've put them in the freezer. And there is my question. They come out watery. Is it ok to use them for baking and if so, should I throw bananas in batter, dried off or water? Thanks!!

  1. That looks delicious! I've enjoyed spending some time today getting to know your blog! Very nice! Enjoy your weekend!

  1. Shug said...:

    Girl... you have really been having dome great recipes... keep em' coming.....
    blessings..

  1. I hope you don't mind, but can you tell me how you add the "Printable version" link to your posts? I would love to know how to do this! Thanks!

  1. Ellen said...:

    Yummmo...I just love bundt cakes, it was something my dear mom always made.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

  1. To answer a couple questions, I have a link to the tutorial for anyone interested in setting their recipes up for Printable versions. Feel free to email me and I'll happily pass that along -- we all enjoy having a printable recipe when we find one for our *to try* pile.

    On bananas, I pop my overly ripe bananas into the freezer in their jackets and take them out as needed. I allow them to thaw in a bowl and use both the fruit and any liquid it releases in the thawing process.

    Happy Baking!!

    Blessings,
    Gail

  1. Debbie said...:

    This sounds totally yummy! Bundt cakes are my favorite to make. I'm sort of a lousy froster of layer cakes.

  1. Gail I would also like the link to the "printable version" for recipes.
    thank you so much. I don't share a lot of recipes on my blog but others might appreciate this option. Janita

  1. forgot to tell you this cake looks delicious. I'm going to try it! I usually make banana bars or banana muffins with over ripe bananas. this looks perfect for a fall switch-a-roo. maybe a a belated birthday cake! thanks for sharing. Janita

  1. Delchick41 said...:

    Hello. I am new here, but I just wanted to say thank you so much for all your great looking recipes that I cannot wait to try. Yah Fall!

    Cheryl

  1. sabreana said...:

    This is so good. My daughter made this while I was at work. It is way better then banana bread. The best bunt cake I ever had.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.