Old-Fashioned Bake Sale ~ Gingerbread Pumpkin Bars

Thursday, September 8, 2011

It is September -- no more holding back -- Fall is so close I can smell it (and it smells like pumpkins and spices)-- BRING ON THE PUMPKIN RECIPES :)



Gingerbread Pumpkin Bars
(Printable Version)

Bars:
2-1/4 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
16 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup rolled quick oats

Filling:
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1-3/4 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 large eggs

Glaze drizzle:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice. In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar and molasses until creamy. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Reserve 3/4 cup of this mixture and place in a small bowl. Scoop the remaining mixture into a 10" x 15" baking pan lightly coated with nonstick spray. Add the oats to the reserved mixture and mix until combined - set aside. For the filling, in a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add pumpkin, sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and mix until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing just until combined. Scoop the mixture over the uncooked base and use an off-set spatula to evenly spread the mixture over the top. Crumble reserved oat mixture over filling. Bake until the topping is a golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely. For glaze drizzle, in a small bowl, mix together confectioners' sugar, butter and vanilla. Mix in just enough milk until the mixture will easily flow from a spoon - drizzle over cooled bars.

32 comments:

  1. dr momi said...:

    Bring it on -- I'm reaqdy for fall! Will try these this week-end :-)

  1. Lori said...:

    Oh my! I can't wait to smell these baking in the oven. Gonna print out and get out my canned pumpkin for our next get together. Have a blessed day!

  1. Vintage Gal said...:

    Oh My Goodness ~how wonderful that looks ~ I can smell them ;-)

  1. Cheryl said...:

    I can almost smell these, will be giving them a try real soon! I am so ready for fall!

  1. Gert said...:

    Oh this sound wonderful! I can almost smell it right now!

    Thanks & blessings,
    xoxo Gert

  1. Tina said...:

    Noooo Gail...two of my greatest Fall weaknesses...pumpkin and gingerbread. The only way I can enjoy them both without gaining weight is to buy them in scented candles!
    But, I'll try yours! :-)
    Hope you're having some 'cool' days!!

  1. Oh...I am loving this recipe to pieces. I can see the smiles when you serve it!!

    XO,
    Jane

  1. Lynnie said...:

    oh my goodness... these look delish. I will be making these thu
    is weekend.

  1. I just ran and got my pumpkin out of the freezer. I am making this tomorrow!

  1. Mrs. P! Can you see me doing the happy dance of joy! Well, I am! These 2 flavors are my favorites!!!!!!
    This is a must try recipe, but I can tell that it will probably be a favorite.
    I teach a Bible Study group beginning Sept. 22. I'm taking this!!!
    Thanks dear friend!
    Yvonne

  1. Karen said...:

    Thank you for your visit. I will definitely be praying for Laura!!
    And I can smell those pumpkin bars. Yum!
    Hugs,
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

  1. This looks great Gail! I love pumpkin and have already made a pumpkin pie-couldn't wait:@)

  1. bj said...:

    OOO, Gail...this looks soooo good.
    I love anything PUMPKIN..haven't made anything with it yet this Sept. but I did dig out my Pumpkin candle..and when it's burning, it's all I can do to keep from making a pie.
    I am making these bars SOON.
    xo bj

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    I love all things pumpkin. Will eat these for breakfast and at 2am! That is an issue. You could do consignment, you just buy so much you just cannot possibly store it-that's what I do. I am happy to take it away. I do keep some of the best finds for me. It is fun and I do make money on a small scale so far.

  1. I drooled over those on Pinterest. They look amazing!!! and I don't even like cream cheese but I'd still dig into those :)

  1. Gail, these look delicious! And I love bar cookies because there is only one pan to bake. I know my son would love these, so I'll have to make them next time he comes home from school!

  1. Mecky said...:

    Those look good. I am ready for some pumpkin!!

  1. Marigene said...:

    I have been looking for something just like this for a fall dessert...warm and flavorful...thanks, Gail!

  1. I would love one of those bars with my morning coffee :-) Truly, I will be making these for my office mates that will go wild!

  1. Debbie said...:

    I'm right there with you in the pumpkin love, especially this time of year. These look just scruptious.

  1. These sound just like the right thing for fall! Thanks for sharing! blessings,Kathleen

  1. will give this recipe ago with my son we love baking together & have just started a little corner of my blog dedicated to cooking with my son'cookery corner' would love you to pop by. thanks for sharing the recipe

  1. Shug said...:

    This looks absolutely delicious....I can't wait to try this recipe..I love anything pumpkin and I think my family will enjoy this one...
    Thanks for sharing...
    shug

  1. I'm still not ready. I need a real cold snap to get into the fall baking but, when I do, these sound delicious!

  1. Just in case you missed it, we wanted to share the link from Friday...

    http://gooseberrypatch.typepad.com/blog/2011/09/ff-take-a-bloggy-tour.html

    This yummy recipe was the inspiration for our bloggy tour...thanks for sharing it! :)

  1. These bars are wonderful, and I blogged about them giving you credit. Thanks for sharing!

    http://mountainbreaths.blogspot.com/2011/09/gingerbread-pumpkin-bars-sunflowers-and.html

  1. oh my those look soooo yummy! i can't wait to try them out. i love your blog..God Bless

    kim dawson

  1. Do you think I could make these without the cream cheese to avoid the dairy?

  1. Do you think I could make these without the cream cheese to avoid the dairy?

  1. Christina Thornton -- you didn't leave an email for me to respond to and you are a NO RESPONSE blogger/commenter so I am hoping you return here to get your answer -- the cream cheese is a important part of the filling of this recipe - dairy is not something I have had to worry about but I assume there is a vegan or soy equal to regular dairy cream cheese - that might work for you. Sorry I wasn't more help than that.

    Blessings!
    Gail

  1. I've made these twice now.. delish. I've even left off the drizzle because they are sweet without it! Thanks for the recipe!

  1. I've made these twice now for parties. They are delish! The recipe makes a bunch so make sure you have someone to share with or you'll eat the whole thing yourself! I've left off the drizzle on top because they're plenty sweet without it! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.