A DIY Weekend :)

Monday, June 18, 2012
Photo Creidt: Curbly
Are you a DIYer? Seems I always have a LONG list of projects to get to. This weekend I got to a few of them -- I had motivation. Company is a coming :)

Although I did get to a few projects, we are still *in process* on most so basically I am going to *tell* you about them and then will share some photos -- BIG-reveal-style -- SOON.

So what do you think of when you read BABY ELEPHANT, HOT COCOA & INSPIRE AWE? Recently when I posted about the trees being removed, I posted this photo ......
Really shows the worn and dated paint on the house. Not a big fan of butter yellow and forest green. Well, I am not going to be living with that UGLY (sorry, no better word came to mind) paint any longer. The house is now Baby Elephant - a gorgeous light taupe color (Clark & Kensington paint from Ace) with Inspire Awe - a creamy, off white trim -- on Thursday, I will do the LAST job -- painting  the porch floor and steps. They will be Hot Cocoa - a darker taupe. It is AMAZING what paint can do!

Once  the porch paint is dried and cured a bit, I can put my vintage wicker furniture back out. Do you

Faithfulness Farm: Nebraska Junk Jaunt
remember my story of how I acquired my olden wicker set last fall? I was so blessed to find it and knew it was going to need some work to freshen it up. Work done. I've painted it and made some covers for the cushions and some festive pillows - they are sitting in the garage EAGERLY waiting to come out and party on the porch! I thought I would share a couple informative articles I found -- Wicker Furniture Cleaning Hints & Tips -- and -- Painting Wicker Furniture -- both very helpful for the wicker furniture enthusiast. I cannot hardly wait to show you my beauties!! BTW, this is another showing of that horrid paint AND can you believe that my porch had carpet on it? -- that was ripped up earlier this spring and the floor is ready for it's paint job :)

Now that my yard has so many more sunny spots sans the trees, I've been looking for gardening inspiration like CRAZY! I ran across this image on Pinterest.....
Samplers and Santas
AND was TOTALLY inspired. I've made 2 new little flower beds utilizing my galvanized wash tubs. I have the edging to finish on the 2nd one and will do the big reveal :)

ALL those projects and I also rearranged the living room -- I'll share WHY I did that later this week.

Isn't it great to have company come (my Mom & Dad from Arizona and #1 Son from Minnesota) to light a fire under the hiney and get some of the STUFF crossed off the list!

Wishing a WONDERFUL week -- I'll be putting finishing touches on THINGS -- can't wait to show YOU! What is on YOUR DIY list?

Adding this post to Yvonne of StoneGable's new Linky party -- TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS  - oh, what FUN!!


17 comments:

  1. Hello-
    Popped over from Shug's blog.
    You have a nice place here, which I'll come back to. Your posts are great.
    Love the flowers in the bucket.

    I'd like to invite you to follow me and I am your new follower.

    Melinda

  1. I do that too. Wait until a party or something to get things really cleaned and painted and then am pooped when I am done. Enjoy your family though. That is what it is all about.

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    You have been so busy I think I need a nap. Seriously the house sounds like it is coming along quite like an elephant should. I can't wait to see the porch wicker.

  1. Cathy said...:

    Good for you, Gail. Company coming is a great incentive to get things done around the house. I love the planter made from a wash tub and your wicker settee is so pretty with that lovely quilt. Have a wonderful visit with your family.

  1. Carol said...:

    Gail,
    What a great post! Sounds like my kind of fun.
    Did you paint the house yourself? I painted the 2 sides of our house and the old garage a couple of years ago.
    Can't wait to see how everything is turning out!
    Exciting about the gardening, too.

  1. Shug said...:

    Way to go Gail.....you are getting things done and I know everything is going to look great for all to see...doesn't it just make you feel so good when you turn around and see what you have accomplished?

    can't wait to see it all...
    shug

  1. Love the vintage wicker. So pretty!

  1. whoa whoa whoa-i wanna SEE the newly painted house and your version of those tub planters (which are really a great idea!) i wish i could paint our brick home, but the b/f won't let me. your colors sound great-i'm going to live vicariously through your repainted home!

  1. Kat Land said...:

    Wow! You HAVE BEEN BUSY!!! Can't wait to see the pictures! It is so true, nothing like company to get those things done!
    I'm currently putting up figs after picking of course, putting blackberries in the freezer until I have more time for jelly making, putting up okra and corn--whew! And keeping up with all the other "woman" work. And, my part-time home secretarial job for our church. NEVER a dull moment! Thank God for strength and energy!
    Bless you all!

  1. Teresa said...:

    Busy little bee you have been. Can't wait to see what all you have done.

  1. I can't wait to see your wash tub gardens!! You go girl!! :)

  1. You are a DYI master! I can't believe all you have done! I saw that planter on Pinterest too and loved it! I can't wait to see what you have done!!!
    Please join me this evening at 8:00 for the very first TUTORIAL TIPS AND TIDBITS. Your DYI spirit and gumption to get it done would be a welcomed addition!

  1. Definitely going to check out those wicker furniture tutorials! I bet you place is looking awesome when you get finished. I always get motivated much more when there is a deadline. LOL! I have two of those washtubs myself so I really should give that look a try.
    You do tire me seeing all you have done. We spent one weekend washing down the siding on the front and one side of the house. It looked so much better when we were done. Extreme heat for the rest of this week so I am staying in and working on smaller projects. :)

  1. I love the sound of that color combination. I bet it looks awesome! Can't wait to see your pictures.

  1. You have certainly been busy! Isn't it a fantastic feeling of accomplishment? Once my big weekend sale is behind me, I have got to get started tackling some old house maintenance and repair projects. Thanks for the kick in the pants! Enjoy your company. :-)

  1. Gail said...:

    OMGoodness, you have been busy! Sometimes it takes having company come to get you motivated...it does me. Looking forward to seeing your porch completed...love your vintage wicker furniture. Enjoy your weekend, Gail

  1. Melanie said...:

    This was my first visit and I loved your blog. Glad to find your post today, have recently acquired an older piece of wicker, great timing!! Following you now, and visiting from Stone Gable TTT party.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.