Low-Carb Living ~ Layered Summer Chicken Salad

Friday, June 15, 2012


One of my favorite summer delights is fresh berries -- and lucky for me, they can be part of a low carb lifestyle. I grow some strawberry pots but seem to have to fight the squirrels for those -- thankfully, I can always get them at Farmer's Market (our market opened last weekend -- looking forward to going tomorrow) during our season. Oh, and this salad is a GREAT fly-under-the-radar low carb recipe -- I served to a friend who was without a clue that it was low-carb -- love that! I plan to try it with blueberries and feta cheese in place of the strawberries and gorganzola....a combination of blueberries, strawberries and feta would make a GREAT red, white & blue salad for the 4th :)

Layered Summer Chicken Salad
(Printable Version)

7 cups torn romaine lettuce
4 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled gorgonzola cheese
1 cup pecan halves
1 quart (3 cups) fresh strawberries, quartered

Dressing:
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp splenda
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, finely minced

In deep 3-quart salad bowl, place half of the lettuce. Layer with chicken, cheese, pecan halves, remaining lettuce and strawberries. Put all the dressing ingredients into a mason jar and shake until well blended. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad. Serves 6.

Calories per serving: 478
Net carbs per serving: 8



14 comments:

  1. Shelia said...:

    Morning, Gail! OH, this salad looks so good and I'm going to keep the recipe. I'll be tossing in a handfull of blueberries would be food too!
    Yummy.
    Be a sweetie,Shelia :)

  1. This looks so good, Gail! A nice twist on the strawberry salad!

    XO,
    Jane

  1. Shug said...:

    Morning Gail...
    This is just the kind of recipe I need to be looking at. Having splurged on food during our vacation time...I now must get busy on the diet...thanks for sharing..
    shug

  1. Kat Land said...:

    Hi Gail! Awesome looking salad, will be trying very soon! Love all your photos, have pinned several on pinterest. Thanks for sharing your life with us. Yes, God is so Faithful and Kind! It is so nice to hear of Christian women fighting the "good fight of faith!"
    Katherine

  1. Beautiful colors and it sounds like a great salad! Lovin' the pic of Gabe:@)

  1. Debbie said...:

    A definite keeper.
    I remember being so excited to discover the carb content in berries. They happen to be among my favorite fruit choices anyway, and I was thrilled to be able to eat them without guilt.

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    Love this with berries chicken and pecans. A favorite combonition. Thank you for your sweet visits.

  1. I love strawberry spinach salad but I've never tried a strawberry chicken salad. It sounds delicious!!

  1. Delicious!!! I am trying to make more and more of my meals low card. I sure do miss cookies though. :-(

  1. Carol said...:

    Gail,
    This is a beautiful salad! Even though I love carbs (in the form of sugar, mostly!) I always look for low carb options.
    Thanks for your comment! I always enjoy visiting your blog! And I don't know why I wasn't already (thought I was a follower) but I AM following now.
    Duh.
    Wishing you a blessed week! And I'd like to see your painting project!

  1. Oh, YUM! I'm back on the low-carb bandwagon, so I'm pinning this right away. Thanks for a great recipe! Can't wait to make it.
    Cheers, Andrea

  1. Mrs.T said...:

    I made this for Father's Day. It is beautiful, with fantastic flavor, and was very well received by all who tried it, including an 8-year-old boy who went back for seconds! Thanks so much for sharing!

  1. I shared this on my FB page so I don't forget where I saw it - both my husband & I are looking forward to trying it. It looks so delicious and refreshing!

    Thank you! Delinda Lea

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.