Cast Iron Cooking ~ Going Dutch!

Friday, October 8, 2010

Going Dutch!!

Dutch ovens, that is!



There was a time that no kitchen was without a cast iron Dutch Oven. They really were the workhorse of the kitchen, performing duties stove-top as well as in the oven and even outdoors (or hearth) on the fire. But our mothers and grandmothers pretty much set these icons aside as too heavy or old fashioned and instead went with more *modern* choices.

Well, the Dutch Oven is back and back in a BIG way! High-end brands like Le Creuset have helped bring the DO back. Stylish and brightly colored, they have gotten the attention of the modern cook. Celebrity chefs, like Martha, Paula, Rachel and Mario all lend their names to their own versions of these wonderful pots. The downside is most of these pots are expensive and although probably worth every penny, out of range for many of us.

Luckily, there are some lower cost (not lower quality by any means) options. My favorite DO is one I picked up about 20 years ago at a garage sale. It is a vintage cast iron, black, dome lidded DO. No bright colors but oh, what a wonderful job it does cooking. And my favorite manufacturer of cast iron, Lodge Manufacturing also has a line of enameled (as well as non-enameled) DO’s at a remarkable price when you consider the amount the high-end makers are asking. If a Le Creuset pot is just what you are wanting and there is nothing else that will do, shop TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, HomeGoods, etc., for a DO that is priced more reasonably.

We are moving into the time of year that my DO gets a workout. I love the smell of slow cooking goodness coming from the oven. I've had a request for youngest son's favorite this weekend...POT ROAST! YUM!!

Dutch Oven Roast
(Printable Version)

(8) pound chuck roast, 2-to 3- inches thick, bone in if available
2-3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup Burgundy wine
2 cups warm water
3 cups sliced yellow onions
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
6 carrots, cut into large chunks
6 medium sized red skinned potatoes, cut in half
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven temperature to 350 F. Heat vegetable oil in 16-inch dutch oven. Salt and pepper roast on both sides. Sear both sides in hot oil. Pour warm water and Burgundy wine over roast; add garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes and sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook about 2 ½ hours. Pour cooking liquid into a large measuring cup. Skim away fat. If necessary, add a little water or red wine to make 4 cups liquid and return to the cooking pan. Stir in the cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Return roast to cooking pan and arrange vegetables around the roast. Cover and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.


So even though that picture is of a big, ugly (not in the eye of this beholder) pot, it is one of my FAVORITE things and I am sharing at Laurie's A Few Of My Favorite Things! Thanks for hosting Laurie!

Adding this post to Lisa's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday hosted this week At The Well.

26 comments:

  1. That roast sounds so good! I can practically smell it. :)

  1. xinex said...:

    I love cooking with cast iron. I use Le Creuset. Your roast looks so delicious! Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my granddaughter's bday post, Gail...Christine

  1. Nicki said...:

    How do you clean your cast iron dutch oven? I use skillets a lot and clean them as soon as I'm done cooking with hot water and a nylon brush. Usually I cook a roast or soup in the DO so stuff is pretty stuck on and I have to soak it to clean. I know leaving water in the pot isn't good; so do you have any tips?

  1. I love pot roast, and I do use an old cast iron pot like yours. Best ever. Hugs, Marty

  1. Yes, the time of year for wonderful cooking is upon us. Your recipe for Pot Roast sounds delicious! I re-seasoned my cast iron pans last weekend according to your instructions. They turned out great. Thanks for sharing.

    Barb :)

  1. Roberta said...:

    I love your POT...the hardest part for me is lifting it...especially when it's hot so I have to call for my DH. Mine is a french cast iron pot and they are wonderful for roasting things all day in the oven for sure ;) Your pot roast sounds yummy! Have you seen Paula Dean's pot...she has one like yours but it has a big handle so it's easier to put and pull out of the oven...love her down home cooking as well. Have a wonderful weekend, fondly, Roberta
    http://con-tain-it.typepad.com

  1. I am on the look~out for a cast iron pot thanks to you. The roast sounds fabulous!! Thanks, Gail!

    XO,
    Jane

  1. I don't have a Dutch oven but I do have two pieces of stoneware that work like one for oven...imagine a time without plug in crock pots and microwaves. How easy we have it! I love a pot cooking on the stove...on a cool day. oh and dessert nearby too!

  1. Lori E said...:

    This is the best time of year. The smells from a dutch oven would be so welcome.

  1. nancycreative said...:

    That sounds like a great pot roast recipe! I love to use my cast iron skillet and dutch oven, too!

  1. Kathleen said...:

    I keep looking at them in the WS outlet. They have a nice one by Lodge. But it is so heavy, I can hardly lift it!
    Your pot roast sounds great! I love that for dinner, and then the leftovers!

  1. I love Dutch Oven cooking. Great Recipe!

  1. Pioneer Beauty said...:

    I love My Dutch Oven...We have a LODGE and Love it...GOOD Ol AMERICAN made... :)
    I am so EXCITED about the Printable recipes...
    Thank you..
    Though the Colors are Pretty..there is just NOTHING like a Good Ol Fashioned Black Cast Iron.. Skillet, Pan, or Dutch Oven...Like Grandma used...

    Have a blessed day and I look forward to trying your Recipe..
    Going to print it out once I am done with this Comment... : )

  1. Pot roast sounds good - have not made one in a long time. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Thanks for stopping by.

  1. I love your collection! And that big old ugly one as you called it and would take it off your hands in a second. ;) I love my iron skillets and pans. Your recipe sounds delicious! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog. I love making new friends. :) Have a great weekend!

  1. I love your "big ugly pot"!! Cast iron pans are so wonderful!!

  1. DarcyLee said...:

    My mom took me and my daughters to the Lodge store in Tennessee last year and bought us each cast iron pans of our choice. I got the Dutch oven and just love it! Pot roast is perfect for it.

  1. Mimi said...:

    I love using my dutch oven. Great pot roast recipe, I can practically smell it.
    Mimi

  1. Gail, I have my grandmother's cast iron Griswold dutch oven. I'm almost afraid to use it, because they have become some collectible and valuable. But your pot roast recipe has made me want to get it out. I usually do mine in the crock pot, but I bet it would be even better in the dutch oven. Thank you for the recicpe and thank you for linking this to Favorite Things Sat. laurie

  1. Kim said...:

    You are right, of course. Your recipe sounds wonderful, I love slow cooking recipes. It makes the house smell wonderful and the meat melts in your mouth. Blessings, my friend.

  1. You've gotta love cast iron for slow cooked recipes like this one and this one sounds savory and delicious!

  1. Debbie said...:

    I can definitely see why it's a FAVORITE thing. I love a roast cooked in a dutch oven, and your recipe sounds exactly like the kind I want to sink my teeth into!

  1. Kristen said...:

    I love cast iron. I have the fancy schmancy kind, but I also have the old standby. They are so wonderful for stews and roasts.

  1. I'm crazy about cast iron cooking! Love how it takes in all the flavors.

  1. This sounds yummy! Thanks for visiting my blog!
    --Merry

  1. Gail, I just wrote you a note but it disappeared!
    YOu are a wonderfu person to give those little orphan canisters a great home!!!! ANd 3 no less! Don't give up hope, you might find Coffee some day.
    I spy all thosse Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. How many recipes are yours?
    xo Yvonne

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.