Granny's Skillet & Skillet Cornbread

Monday, October 25, 2010

My dear Grandmother would have celebrated her 92nd birthday this last week -- if she was still with us. She went home to be with the Lord almost 18 years ago. I will always miss her very much! Grandpa joined her the following year and when their home was cleared out and readied to sell, I was able to take a couple things. One was my Grandma's rocker and the other was her old cast iron skillet. I treasure both, but most especially the skillet. I use it several times a week and each time I grip it's handle, I know I am griping where her hands griped uncountable times. That gives me comfort.


One of Grandma's favorites was always cornbread and buttermilk. I found myself wanting to bake some in her skillet over the weekend...so I did. Not a better cast iron dish than cornbread. And perfect with soup for a soul satisfying supper!



Skillet Cornbread
(Printable Version)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white or yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon butter

Heat oven to 400°F. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Stir in buttermilk, 1/3 cup melted butter and eggs just until mixture is moistened. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy cast iron or oven-proof 10-inch skillet (2 to 4 minutes). Immediately pour batter into pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.

Sharing at Lisa's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Michael Lee's Foodie Friday AND Laurie's Favorite Things! BIG thanks to these lovely gals who graciously host these events each week!