GBP's Farmer's Market Favorites

Monday, August 15, 2011

No series on Farmer's Markets would be complete without a mention of my friends at Gooseberry Patch. A couple years ago they published what has become one of my favorite books -- FARMER'S MARKET FAVORITES. Whatever you garden is producing in overdrive or you can pick-up at Farmer's Market at it's peak, you'll find a recipe in this book for putting it on the table. One of my favorite recipes from this book is Summertime Tomato Tart.

Seasonal tomatoes are surely my favorites -- I will hardly ever eat a tomato outside of their season because they are too disapointing. That said, I've had an interesting tomato growing season -- too chilly in spring and then way too hot too early in summer (although we've had plenty of PERFECT the last couple of weeks). All my tiny tomatoes (cherry & grape) have done wonderful -- the rest, not so good. For that reason, I have turned to farmers market for my tomatoes.


If you've never made a tomato tart, you have to make this one. If you use a premade crust, you can have this on your table in no time and with little effort - best of all, this is perfect for brunch, a light lunch, appetizer or as a side for supper.


Summertime Tomato Tart
(Printable Version)

4 tomatoes, sliced
9-inch pie crust
8-oz pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1/4 c. olive oil
sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

Arrange tomatoes in bottom of pie crush. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and basil; drizzle with oil. Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serves 6.

10 comments:

  1. Charlotte said...:

    I have never tried a tomato tart but I do love a fresh garden tomato. It should have just a hint of green and not dead ripe. Delicious as a tomato sandwich with mayo.

  1. The tart looks great Gail, so perfect for this time of year:@)

  1. Gail, I have to try this recipe. It looks absolutely delicious!! Also so pretty. I have the cookbook. Love it.

    Thanks ever so much for the idea!!

    Hugs, Barb

  1. I love Gooseberry patch! Their books are always so wonderful. There is nothing better than recipes like this! Thanks for sharing! blessings, Kathleen

  1. Tina said...:

    I've never heard of a Tomato Tart...but so glad now that I have! I can't wait to try this recipe! I have some tomatoes that I need to use up...perfect timing!
    Thank you for all the prayers Gail! I appreciate your friendship!

  1. Debbie said...:

    Ok, I have never made a tomato tart. Now, I must have one.

  1. I was looking for a tomato tart recipe a couple of weeks ago! Your version sure looks delicious!

  1. Ooooh... tht looks fantastic and I think the hubs would dig it too. Did you take those photos? they are fabulous!

    thanks for sharing!

  1. I love tomato tart. Although, mine is a little different. I use a puff pastry crust tomatoes, italian cheeses, and fresh basil. I love it!!! Tomato tarts in any form are quite delicious.

    aprons and old lace

  1. What a beautiful tomato tart! Another great way to use my garden tomatoes :)

    I'm glad you added the email subscription - I'm signing up today!

    I am also really getting into Pinterest and have to look at your pins next.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.