Kool-Aid Days & Frozen Cherry-Limeade Kool-Aid Pie

Friday, August 12, 2011

It's time to celebrate KOOL-AID DAYS again. Remember me telling you that the town I live in, Hastings, Nebraska's big claim to fame is being the birthplace of KOOL-AID!! I thought in that spirit of celebration, I'd share a couple FUN recipes that use Kool-Aid.

The first one is from my friend over at Our Treasured Home. She recently posted a recipe for Kool-Aid Pickles -- you have to check out that recipe!

Next is a hybrid recipe that I made using a couple different recipes and concepts to make what ended up being a very fun dessert. All thumbs were up for this one (son said they taste very much like cherry-limeade from Sonic, "only better") -- so COOL and refreshing. This would be a great treat to have the kids help you make :)


Frozen Cherry-Limeade Kool-Aid Pie
(Printable Version)

Crust:
1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp sugar

Filling:
1 packet unsweetened Cherry Flavored Kool-Aid
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup frozen Limeade concentrate, thawed
2 8 oz. containers Whipped Topping

Topping:
1-1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Jar of maraschino cherries

12 (8 oz) half pint canning jars

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Press about 2 heaping Tbsp in the bottom of each jar (divide evenly between the 12 jars). Place jars on a large cookie sheet and bake for 6 minutes. Cool completely. Mix together dry Kool-Aid packet, sweetened condensed milk and Limeade concentrate. Fold in whipped topping. Divide between prepared jars leaving room to place on the lids. Place in freezer for at least 2 hours. Before serving, prepare whipped cream. Combine cold cream and powdered sugar pre-chilled mixing bowl. Beat with whisk attachment until peaks form. Spoon over top of pies and top with a cherry or 2. Serves 12. YUMM-O!!

8 comments:

  1. Ruby Jean said...:

    Oh My Goodness... Who would have ever Thunk that Kool-Aid could do so much...Even Pickles...I think that deserves a Blue Ribbon.. Your recipe sounds delicious and fun...

  1. Valerie said...:

    Your Kool-Aid pie sounds yummy, but then again, we are Sonic fans here!

    Have you heard about the deep-fried Kool-Aid balls...not so sure about those! Might have to see if the Iowa or Kansas State Fair has them...hmmm...

  1. Picket said...:

    Morning girl..I remember Kool-Aid days all the time when I was a kid and when my babies were little we always had some in the fridge...been a long time since I made Kool-Aid..the pie sounds fantastic...don't know about the pickles though! lol Thanks for coming by girl...hope you have a great weekend! Picket

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    You got it right-Yumm-O!

  1. Thanks for referring to my post! Your Kool Aid pie looks yummy! Kool Aid never goes out of style!

  1. Woah that sounds awesome... my husband would love that, he loves all that sweet fruity stuff. I might have to try this soon!

  1. Shug said...:

    Oh wow. My darlings are gonna love this. Woo Hoo

  1. This makes my mouth water, Gail!!! What a great and creative treat!
    I have always been a fan of kool aid!
    YUMMY!
    Yvonne

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.