Baked Eggs

Sunday, October 16, 2011
I always find it so easy to share ALL my confessions with you.....here goes my latest -- I am not that crazy about eggs. I eat them -- they are good for me and good for my low carb diet but truth be known, I'd much rather eat biscuits and gravy and mounds of crispy fried bacon (or better yet, about 1/2 a cherry pie and a pot of coffee, lol), but alas, I eat eggs. I will admit that home grown taste better than store-bought, BUT they are still eggs. About a year or so ago, I read about baked or shirred eggs (also have seen them called creamed eggs). Of all the ways there is to make eggs, this has become my favorite (if you can have a favorite of what you are not crazy about, lol). They are easy, make a great presentation and generally are a great way to enjoy eggs for breakfast.


This *recipe* certainly is a loose formula. You can always substitute spinach with other ingredients like bacon, ham, tomatoes or mushrooms and add whatever cheese you have or like or skip all the add-ins and just bake the eggs plain -- also pretty tasty. Those who eat bread say that toast is extra yummy on the side :)


Baked Eggs w/Spinach & Feta
(Printable Version)

2 Ramekins or baking dishes to hold two eggs
Olive oil to grease ramekins
4 large eggs
1 cup loosely-packed chopped spinach
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup feta cheese
2 green onions ends trimmed, thinly sliced
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush the ramekins or baking dishes with a little oil to lightly grease. Line the dishes with chopped spinach. Crack one egg at a time over the spinach. Repeat with remaining ramekin. Pour the cream evenly among dishes. Sprinkle eggs with feta and green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Place dishes on a baking tray. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking. Serve immediately with toast.

Posting to Yvonne's On The Menu Monday!