Baked Eggs

Sunday, October 16, 2011
I always find it so easy to share ALL my confessions with you.....here goes my latest -- I am not that crazy about eggs. I eat them -- they are good for me and good for my low carb diet but truth be known, I'd much rather eat biscuits and gravy and mounds of crispy fried bacon (or better yet, about 1/2 a cherry pie and a pot of coffee, lol), but alas, I eat eggs. I will admit that home grown taste better than store-bought, BUT they are still eggs. About a year or so ago, I read about baked or shirred eggs (also have seen them called creamed eggs). Of all the ways there is to make eggs, this has become my favorite (if you can have a favorite of what you are not crazy about, lol). They are easy, make a great presentation and generally are a great way to enjoy eggs for breakfast.


This *recipe* certainly is a loose formula. You can always substitute spinach with other ingredients like bacon, ham, tomatoes or mushrooms and add whatever cheese you have or like or skip all the add-ins and just bake the eggs plain -- also pretty tasty. Those who eat bread say that toast is extra yummy on the side :)


Baked Eggs w/Spinach & Feta
(Printable Version)

2 Ramekins or baking dishes to hold two eggs
Olive oil to grease ramekins
4 large eggs
1 cup loosely-packed chopped spinach
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup feta cheese
2 green onions ends trimmed, thinly sliced
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush the ramekins or baking dishes with a little oil to lightly grease. Line the dishes with chopped spinach. Crack one egg at a time over the spinach. Repeat with remaining ramekin. Pour the cream evenly among dishes. Sprinkle eggs with feta and green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Place dishes on a baking tray. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking. Serve immediately with toast.

Posting to Yvonne's On The Menu Monday!

18 comments:

  1. acorn hollow said...:

    Like you I eat them I don't love them. But this looks good.
    cathy

  1. B-Z-Quilting said...:

    I have heard of baked omelets and the baked breakfast casseroles with eggs, but I have never seen just a baked egg. We actually do like eggs here --- fried, scrambled, omelets --- but we I imagine the baked is definitely healthier. I am going to give this a try!

  1. Vintage Gal said...:

    That looks delish ~ I have never baked an egg, but now I am going to have to try it ;-)

  1. Cindy said...:

    Thank you for posting this recipe. It reminded me of my childhood. I have been wanting to make these since I started raising chickens but couldn't remember what they were called.

    They were a standby on Sunday mornings when I was a child. My mother would prep them the night before, and pop them in the oven when she made the coffee. By the time she got out of the shower they were cooked, and she had a hearty breakfast for us before church that did not complicate busy Sunday mornings.

  1. Shug said...:

    never heard of this, but how easy... I do love eggs so this is a definite must try...

  1. I'll sometimes eat them for breakfast but never understood the dinner thing... This sounds interesting and different Gail:@)

  1. kitty said...:

    This sounds great to me!! I eat eggs every morning & this would give me something new to try! Thanks for sharing. I'm visiting from OTMM.

  1. I love eggs and have heard of these but wasn't sure how to make them. I am definitely going to give it a go! Thanks, Gail!

    XO,
    Jane

  1. Debbie said...:

    NOW I see this?? My egg loving daughter just left after being home on fall break. These would have been right up her alley. I will be trying them myself in advance of her next visit.

    I might have to leave out the spinach, though.

  1. LeAnn said...:

    I am going to look forward to making this recipe. I love eggs; so I will add it to my collection of recipes.
    Thanks for sharing this and blessings to you!

  1. I usually scramble eggs but I really don't eat them much, either. This is so neat!! I've never heard of baked eggs. My boys love eggs so I'm goin' to try this one in the morning. :) Thanks for such a new and exciting post!

  1. Luckily, I love eggs cooked in almost any way. I would love to find some of those beautiful farm eggs and try this recipe.

  1. Bella Vista said...:

    Gail, I love eggs....love!

    You are making me so hungry. Love the recipe. Hope you are having a blessed day!

    Barb ♥

  1. Miz Helen said...:

    Hi Gail,
    Just stopping by from Yvonne's. Your Baked Eggs look so delicious and comforting. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!
    Miz Helen

  1. Christie said...:

    Yes, I would love the biscuits and gravy, too..but alas, at 41 I can't eat like I did when I was 16! I haven't printed and will try! Thank you! Christie

  1. love baked eggs. I have a really good shakshuka recipe that I use all the time when guests are over!

  1. I'd so much rather eat biscuits smothered in gravy with crispy bacon... but I'm like you, eating eggs and fruit and green tea for breakfast.

  1. I love baked eggs! But you have taken them to a new and delicious level! You are right about presentation... gorgeous! I never thought to add spinach or other veggies, but now I will. Visiting you is like having a cup of coffee with a dear friend. I always leave so "filled up"!
    Yvonne

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.