One Good Thing!

Monday, October 24, 2011
I first saw this on Pintrest and thought -- no one's baking sheets look as bad as mine -- then I realized that maybe Jillie's from One Good Thing might come close, lol. I was very intrigued about her *Miracle Cleaner* and since it was my favorite kind -- made from household staples, I figured I'd give it a try and report back to you.

These babies are truly workhorses in my kitchen and have been for many, many years. I am not sure when these were purchased but I do remember having them when we still lived in California, so before 1999. Another thing I wanted to add is that I never saw anything wrong with my baking sheets looking like this. I've been behind the scenes in more than one commercial bakery and that is what the baking sheets look like -- I always thought of it as kind of a badge of honor -- my baking sheets get USED.

The results -- yep, this pan is certainly cleaner looking with all the carbonized stuff off of it -- but I am afraid the miracle cleaner had little to do with it - the cleaning machine was - good ole elbow grease and a stainless steel scrubber. I'm just going to let the rest of my stack of baking sheets keep their MUCH USED appearance.

I use baking soda to clean a lot of different things around the kitchen and did find the combination of the peroxide and baking soda did take some hard water spots off some serving utensils but I think I am not going to be using peroxide in the kitchen on a regular basis.

Note: I was asked why I wouldn't be using Peroxide in the kitchen regularly. The answer to that is it made me a bit uncomfortable. It has no smell or color and looks just like water. Not a safe chemical in the kitchen out of it's normal packaging. That is just my opinion, better to be safe than sorry.

Hooking up with Susan's Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch.

16 comments:

  1. Your cookie sheets look "well seasoned" to me Gail! Think I'll take your word for how well the cleaner works and save my elbow grease for raking leaves:@) Happy Monday!

  1. acorn hollow said...:

    I am with you they are a badge of the hard work and cooking you have done.
    Cathy

  1. Farmgirl Cyn said...:

    Ha! I wish mine looked as good as your "before" picture! Mine have got to be over 30 years old....except for one newer one I bought a couple of years ago. That one still looks OK....much like your "after" shot. They are workhorses in the kitchen, aren't they?

  1. Valerie said...:

    Good morning.

    I agree...your well-loved cookie/baking sheets are wearing a badge of honor...saying, "our owner loves and uses us!" But the combo home staples cleaner certainly did the trick!

    I haven't ever used peroxide in the kitchen...so I'm curious about your last comment...is their a particular reason why you won't be using peroxide around the kitchen...how else would you use it? Just curious.

    Happy Monday!

  1. Hannah said...:

    I like the MUCH USED look also. It reminds me of my grandma's pans and her kitchen...warm and cozy!

  1. Vintage Gal said...:

    I agree with you ~! well worn baking sheets are a badge of honour ~ mine look the same ;-)

  1. Lori E said...:

    I replace mine on a regular basis. We use them all the time too and if darkening and build up are a badge of honor we would covered in medals.
    Scrubbing and scrubbing doesn't seem to do much any more.

  1. Marilyn said...:

    I just use the same thing all the women in my family used....Elbow Grease!!
    Loved the post!!
    Marilyn

  1. Marigene said...:

    I call mine well seasoned cookie sheets, don't really want them to look or bake like brand new!

  1. LeAnn said...:

    Yes indeed, my cookies sheets look well used. I have been thinking to slow down the aging of my cookie sheets I might start using parchment paper on them when I bake cookies. The thought is that the cookies will bake better. We will see if it is worth the money.
    Blessing to you and I love your hints for today.

  1. Farmchick said...:

    I think I prefer the sesoned look too....mine certainly are well seasoned too!! :) Hoping you can stop by and say hi!!

  1. Nancy B said...:

    In response to Valerie: one use for peroxide is in the sewing room. Sometimes pin pricks leave a spot of blood on a just finished quilt (or anything else). Peroxide on a Q-tip to rescue!

  1. Anita said...:

    Well, mine are way worse than yours, lol!! Mine are pretty old and I have a pizza one that my mom used in the 1970s. Thanks for stopping by!! I think the halloween one really is my favorite:-)

  1. Debbie said...:

    In a strange little twist of irony, my baking sheets are the ONLY cookware in my kitchen that don't look like I bought them from a peddler in 1943. It's not because I don't use them, either. I do. I love to bake cookies more than anything in the kitchen. Maybe that's the reason. I use parchment so they're protected.

    Now, if that trick worked on the rest of my hot mess, I would try it. Unfortunately, it's usually a matter of elbow grease around here too.

    (I get what you're saying about the peroxide. Wouldn't have thought of it, but you are right.)

  1. My favorite cleaner for my baking pans is Barkeepers Friend. I buy it at Walmart. It still takes some elbow grease but I haven't found anything that gets them cleaner. Those inside edges are still a killer though.

    Badge of Honor works for me too :)

  1. Jayme Goffin said...:

    Love your blog! Gotta add it to the sidebar - looks like we have a bunch in common!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.