Old-Fashioned Bake Sale ~ Cheddary Cheese Crackers

Saturday, October 15, 2011
This post was all prepared and then something happened -- 4 of the most wonderful little children came to spend the night at my house -- ages 3 months to 5 years! Oh, did we have fun. So I'm changing the post a little and adding some photos. Sorry for being a tad late posting!

Have you ever made cheese crackers, pennies or straws? They really are very simple and so yummy. Perfect to serve on the side of a soup supper OR as the favorite snack of kids far and wide.

Using my birthday gift!

Cheddary Cheese Crackers
(Printable Version)

Makes about 70 1-inch square crackers
1-1/2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
3/4 c flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional - I don't use if I am making for kids)
1 Tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Put everything except the milk in a food processor. Pulse the processor, 5 seconds at a time, for about 5 or 6 times, until the dough is in coarse crumbs. Add the milk and process until the dough gathers together in a ball. Roll the dough out on a floured board with a rolling pin that has been floured until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough into 1-inch squares with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.

You can put a bit of flour on the blade of the knife to keep it from sticking. Use the flat end of a wooden skewer to poke a hole in the center of each cracker. Place the crackers at least 1/4 inch apart on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown. Put the baking sheet on a rack and let the crackers cool completely. Eat! Or store in a covered container to eat within a day or two.
(I recently found this sweet vintage apple butter jar - and her little brother, a relish jar at an estate sale for 10 cents each - isn't it so cute)


The Cody seal of approval!

He also REALLY liked the Hot Chocolate (with marshmallows) from the Keurig -- his sippy cup kept showing up waiting for more!

12 comments:

  1. Abi's Blog said...:

    Love the sippy cup in the Keurig!! I like that hot chocolate, too!
    Blessings,
    ava

  1. They look great Gail, I would love to try these home made! Only afraid I'd eat them all:@)

  1. Kathleen said...:

    Who are those adorable kids? So cute!

    Those look great. DH loves Cheezits, if he is good I may surprise him with your version!
    Did you pop over for the give away on my blog, a ESonoma Cornucopia Pan? Still time to enter!

  1. These look delicious and I think the kiddie's think so, too!!

    XO,
    Jane

  1. B-Z-Quilting said...:

    I have heard of cheese straws but have never made them. Paula Deen made them on her show one day. This looks simple enough. I don't have a food processor. Wonder if a mixer would work? Yours look wonderful!!

  1. Marigene said...:

    Yummy...one of my favorite no-nos is those little cheese crackers in the red box! I will have to try these when I have more than a minute. I have only made crackers once in my whole life...I know they are easy but I hate the rolling out part, seems to take forever.
    Your babies are all so cute, Gail.

  1. These look so good! I've never made them before, but used to make cheese straws!

    Cute story about your grands! Love the sippy cup on the Keurig story!

    Katherine

  1. Aw, those are super cute kids! That little boy sure is adorable, putting his sippy cup up there for refills of yummy chocolate milk. :-) Your cheesy crackers look wonderful. My husband would love these! (with the hot pepper flakes)

  1. The cheese crackers look so yummy and they're the perfect fall color, too! I'm sure the kids couldn't keep their hands out of the cracker jar!

  1. Kids always turn food into fun. Those crackers are amazing.

  1. I love cheese straws. My first experience was actually at a food specialty shop (noting fancy) but homemade is so much better! I love hot chocolate. Have you ever tried putting in some of the holiday themed liquid coffee creamer? I like it that way, too. I love the sippy cup waitin' on the Keurig! It made me think of something my lil' boy would do. :) Kids are so cute. Take Care.

  1. These look wonderful. I'll have to give them a try! I love the waiting sippy cup. The kids are adorable. :)

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.